Starter problems

Asked by May 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM about the 1989 Ford Bronco II

I have a 1989 ford bronco 4wd, I've replaced the starter 3 times, changed the silonoid, ignition switch and battery.
My starter is turning over, but will not engage. I've also checked the flywheel, it has a bad spot but I've spun it over
to good teeth with no ware. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

6,805

The bendix on the starter isn't kicking in. When you turn the key, the bendix is spring loaded and kicks in, when you let go of the key it retracts back. If they are rebuilt starters they might be junk. Some starter rebuilders only replace whats obviously bad and don't replace parts that they can't see that they are wornout, so you buy the rebuilt starter thinking all the parts inside have been replaced and you findout it like buying a used starter. Go buy a brand new starter and try that or buy a remanufactered starter from a different parts store. You can also take the starter to Autozone and they will check it for free. sometimes you need a shim between the starter and the engine block so it lines up with the flywheel, buy a couple starter shims from the autoparts store and add a shim or 2 or 3 and see if that works. Kenny.

Best Answer Mark helpful

You checked the teeth but did you look up Where it bolts to transmission to see if its broken.

30

Wish I knew the answer, I have a 1986 Ford Bronco II XLT, I have replaced the starter two times, within days of one another.( With NEW STARTERS). As I start turning the key, I hear the starter get power, , then the starter gives a high pitch noise, but will not engage, the motor won't turn over. I had starter checked, and was told it was strong..What do I do?