Won't quite start

70

Asked by Sep 07, 2011 at 08:55 PM about the 1989 Ford Bronco II

1989 Bronco II 2.9L V6. Acts like it's not getting gas. Last time I drove, it ran fine, no indication
of trouble whatsoever. I have replaced the following:
both fuel pumps and filters
ignition control module
pump relay
I have also checked to make sure that I am getting power out of both the relay, and the inertia
switch, and I can run the pump off battery power directly. I also have good pressure on the
rail. Is there some other component in between the inertia switch and the pump(s) that might
be causing this? How would I identify it? My Haynes manuals are no help, as one has no
electrical diagrams, and the other only shows the in-tank pump of the later models. (Never
buying Haynes again).

70

Correction: I have a Chiltons with no electrical diagrams, and a Haynes with incorrect diagrams ... I might just boycott myself out of options.

First,How long did it set. where do you come up with 2 (your words,both fuel pumps)it only has one in gas tank.not knowing how long it set,im gussing the gas was old and it varanished up inside of gas tank,and stoped up the sock filter on fuel pump.

70

I got it sorted out, actually, just a bad connection from the inertia switch. And it does have two fuel pumps, there's one in tank, and one on the frame under the driver-side door. Maybe I have the year wrong. The manufacture date is July 88, and a parts store rep told me that the late '88s are really the '89. Got into that discussion particularly because of talking about the two fuel pumps. Thanks for your help though.

Glad you got it going.

10

Kinda the same problem i think my timeing might be out how would i know? Tried to turn my motor to the top of the compression turn on valve 1 put it back together still nothing a little backfire. But it kinda sounds like its slipping...im stumped. Bought ignition module fuel pump- starter cylinoid-new plugs and wires

180

I have an 88 Ford Bronco 2 Eddie Bauer edition and I seem to be having the same problem it just won't quite start it acts like it wants to but never does I've checked everything from the fuel pump all the way to the relay switch I'm getting good pressure at the fuel rail n I just can't seem to figure out why it wont start its got spark also. does anybody have any advice on this.

20

1987 Bronco II foot slipped off the clutch peddle in traffic, car shut off immediately, would not restart, no dash lights, no starter, no radi....reset the inertia switch, lights came back on but went off when I tried to start it, No lights since then. Is the inertia witch capable of shutting the electrical system off for entire car? What else could it be?