1986 won't start, just grinding noise

Asked by Sep 06, 2013 at 06:09 PM about the 1986 Ford Bronco

Whenevr I go to start it, all that happens is a grinding noise. It's high mileage and I just
bought it. My first vehicle and I know nothing about them, trying to learn with this. Any
idea what may be the problem?

A grinding noise is not good. If you just bought it, was it a private deal or dealer? Do you have a warranty? If so take it back. If not, then consider it a lesson to have a vehicle inspected before you buy. I can only guess that it's your starter. Your best bet is to get someone local to diagnose it for you.

Yup, best case - starter. Worst Case, broken/stripped flex plate. Ok, worse than that: frozen Motor and messed up starter. We had one last week on a Crown Vic that was cracked 3/4 of the way around near the bolts on the Flexplate - Heck of a noise!

if it is grinding its prolly not the starter, if it was the starter it would be more of a click. Grinding could be the engine trying to turn over and its within the engine itself

It was the starter thanks for the help!