radio buzzing noise

Asked by Oct 19, 2010 at 09:34 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Suburban

2007 suburban    A whinning (buzzing) noise that matches the engine RPM is
coming thru the rear speakers.  The noise is present with the radio on or off, it
disappears at about 1900 rpm.

465

The problem is a defective "rear audio control module" located under the cup holders in the center console. This now know after watching my dealer chase the problem for weeks on my 2007 Z71 Surburban. E-mail for details.

30

you have a speaker wire that is touching the fire wall, (metal that seperates engine space from the cab) or it touching metal that touches the firewall. I.e. doors to hinges ect. its def the speakers b/c the sound comes through regardless of the radio being on. as far as the whole 1900 rpms, the wire is probably barely touching the metal ground, and when the vibration of the engine changes with rpms, the wire loses contact......wherever it is, its the wire itself, not the insulation, (obviously) good luck, get a chiltons if its a stock radio, the wiring schematic is in that bitch fo sho

ground problem.ground wire is loose.

50

1pristine... I forwarded this thread to the dealer currently working on my suburban with the same problem. We have been chasing this issue for nearly a year. Do you have anymore info to offer that I can pass on to the Chevrolet repair guys?

50

I had this same problem on my 07 suburban, it took 2+ years to figure it out and the noise got worse over time. they fixed my rear audio control in 2011, now the noise has started again---I have called GM insisting on a recall of a bad part--you all need to do this so they recall the part. one person isn't enough

30

I have the same problem on my 2005 Z-71 Suburban and wondered why the dealer insisted they did not even hear the noise and when I picked it up had a few choice words for them as it sounded louder than ever and finally was told it could take "forever" to find the problem. I am trying to sell my car and cannot with this whirring sound. What can we do???

30

Heading to social media to try to get Chevy to respond to this problem and I suggest you all do the same: Chevy on Twitter: https://twitter.com/chevrolet# - @Chevrolet Chevy on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chevrolet - just message them as well as leave your comment on their wall.

95

Dont sell your car for this petty fault. Just under the central tray is the main audio connector. Just disengage the plastic safety lock to disconnect the the radio. Slip back the lock whenevr you need to hear some music- negligible hiss sound when engine is off.

50

My 2007 Suburban LT2 has the same problem with a buzzing noise in the rear speakers that matches the engine RPMs, even when the radio/sound system is turned off. I am tired of listening to it, so I guess it is time to go down the frustrating trail of troubleshooting. Has anyone found any more details on the easiest way to fix this annoying problem?

20

Replace the rear radio unit. I found that fix through the forum. My dealer insisted the problem was the amplifier; but to appease me he disconnected the rear radio unit and sure enough the noise was gone. I replaced the unit and haven't had a buzz, whine or annoyance at all for several months.

95

I will remove the rear unit and will report soon

95

Disconnecting the rear audio control does not help to shut this sound.

20

Try This - Pressing the upper corner of the rear audio control temporarily stops the noise in my case - http://www.archivedsites.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi? search=TAC&IncludeBlogs=6,11,28,3,7,12,14,10,23,29&limit=8&page =132

140

I have a 2007 2500 HD LTZ, all speakers had a humming noise and turn signal noise also came thru speakers, had this problem for a couple of years, I found a couple of issues that caused this. Underneath center consul there is a wiring harness with a large connector and then connects to the Bose amp, I removed the tape / sheathing on the dash side of the harness connector and found a broken wire, also in same area found 2 wires with outer sheathing slightly rubbed off causing wires to touch. These 3 issues caused havoc with the speakers, radio and turn signals! Repaired these 3 issues and everything is working properly again with no noises.

The problem its the speakers. You need to replace all because the border ring are destroyed. Check that out. I buy new speakers and everything goes fine now. The heat kill those speakers because the outside ring are built in foam and don't resist the temperature

5

2007 LT...Had exact same problem. Noise at start up whether radio on or off, rpm related noise with radio on, noise when using turn signals (up to 2000 rpm) with radio off. I read all the blogs. Cheap as I am, decided to disconnect rear radio control. The noise stopped & front speakers were fine. That eliminated an ignition issue. I sprayed DeoxIT on radio control connection and blew out with canned dry air. Problem solved. Bottom line is if you are getting noise through the speakers there is either a grounding/connection problem or alternator noise suppression issue. Wish I had been as lucky with the $3K s**tbox transmission. The dealers want to sell parts and it's not profitable because of "book hours" to chase the problem. They mostly have "Techs" ...read that "parts changers", not mechanics. If it's not in "the book" MOST say "forget it". If it's not in warranty you are much better off with an honest and knowledgeable independent shop if not doing FIY.

10

I've had the whinning noise since I bought my 07 Tahoe LT . First started in winter when cold. Dealer had it at least a dozen times and finally replaced the audio board under center console and it fixed it for a few years. It's now doing it again and of course it's out of warranty now. It's intermittent but when it happens I bang on the passenger side rear top corner of the console and it stops. Has to be a bad connection in there but not sure how to access the damn thing. Any Utube videos out there showing this process??

I have the same problem. Just found this answer on Tahoe board. A few people said that it worked and cost $80 on Amazon. Attaching screen shot

Took my Avalanche to Daves Stereo shop in Rochester ny. Service technician knew it was the amp. Says Gm knows about it but acts like they know what the problem is so they don't have to recall thousands and thousands of defected parts. They fix them by sending them out to be repaired. About a $ 300 fix.