Oil pressure sensor does the type of oil using make a difference

Asked by Jan 28, 2017 at 03:12 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 SS

I was told that the oil type makes a difference  oil
pressure sensor keeps going out does the oil type
make a difference

74,765

The type of oil does make a difference. The oil sending unit would pick it up and let you know if you have the wrong type of oil in it. Don't know how, but it does. So what do you mean it keeps going out, leaking?

52,725

There is a screen under the oil pressure sensor. It may be partially clogged causing the problem. Also use only an original GM part and not the aftermarket crap that is out there when replacing the sender.

52,725

The type of oil does not make any difference.

74,765

If you put the wrong viscosity oil into the engine, it will detect it, and send a warning.

52,725

One, as you know, should always use the proper grade (weight) of oil. Type as in conventional, synthetic blend or full synthetic will have no bearing on anything to do with the oil pressure sensor. Also vehicles today are not able to sense the relative viscosity of the oil that is in the crankcase. The senders just sense pressure and nothing more. I am not sure what the original poster means when he says the sensor is "going out". Does this mean it just quits sending a signal to the gauge or does it mean it starts leaking? Sorry my friend, but we may have to agree to disagree on this.

74,765

P1521 - Incorrect Engine Oil Type... Possible causes; Incorrect engine oil viscosity, Incorrect oil type, Oil contamination.....Just so happens there Bob, it is on Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep. I knew I seen this somewhere! It does not apply to GM tho, but the code exist.

74,765

Searching more on the wrong viscosity of oil in a engine can cause other codes to pop up, there are others besides this one, but just for example...... P2646 - 'A' Rocker Arm Actuator System Performance/Stuck Off Bank 1....Possible causes; Low or overfilled engine oil, Incorrect engine oil type, Faulty 'A' Rocker Arm Actuator, 'A' Rocker Arm Actuator harness is open or shorted, 'A' Rocker Arm Actuator circuit poor electrical connection.

52,725

Does not apply to the vehicle in question as the oil sender only measures pressure. Interesting information though...

74,765

I did say it did not apply to a Chevy, the point is that having the wrong oil viscosity will throw a code, or contribute to other codes, that I remembered on another situation, and having the wrong oil in a vehicle does throw a code picked up by sensors. I just so happens after further investigation, which I should have done in the first place, this code applies only to Chrysler products. How good is your memory? lol.

52,725

I fully agree that using the wrong viscosity could throw a code, but the viscosity would have to be pretty far off in my opinion. My basic argument is that oil pressure sensors do nothing but send pressure information, or lack there of, to a gauge. They are not sophisticated enough to determine oil viscosity on any GM or Ford product.

74,765

What ever....

52,725

I will state that oil viscosity can be inferred if you know the pressure, temperature and the size of opening it is being pumped through. Anyway, have a wonderful day up there in the U.P.

74,765

Hey Bob, Just got in from my garage, worked on a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am today, had a code that shut the ignition down so it would not start, & the code had nothing to do with the ignition. C1275 - Solenoid Relay # 1 Circuit Short to Vbatt... Possible symptoms; ABS Warning Light ON, Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)...thats all the code said so researching it more, it said to just clear the code. So I did and the car started. But I know there was still a problem. There were more ABS codes with this C1275 and I found a shot wheel bearing and Wheel Speed Sensor. Point being is all these conditions that had nothing to do with the ignition system led to shutting it down. Well, thank you for your comment, I did have a good day in my garage.

52,725

Wow, glad you got that figured out. Nothing worse than trouble codes not pointing to the proper system to make it fun to diagnose.