Performance

Asked by May 04, 2010 at 10:22 PM about the 1971 Ford Mustang

Ive got a 71 mustang with a 302, looking to do some performance upgrades as far as more horsepower/torque...anyone know some of the easier/cheaper ways to get a little more out of the car??  

*thought id add a pic..its always nice to see peoples cars

155

All depends what you have to start with, is the engine stock, 2bbl, 4bbl? Need more info.

8,600

Upgrade your intake, carb, exhaust, and cam.

I put a holley 600cfm 4barrel on it not long ago. The stock carb was bad. I also did the exhaust with flowmasters.

155

I agree with Larry, if you've done the carb and exhaust, install an aftermarket intake with a mild cam. Mileage and the idle might suffer a bit but not too much.

6,675

a nice set of shocks/struts, tires, and brakes would probably make the car feel a lot quicker than trying to add power.

15

John, There's a ton of stuff for that motor! A good set of headers, intake manifold and carb, Flowmaster (or similar) mufflers with a higher flow exhaust.

235

On top of whats already mentioned, a good ignition box really wakes up older engines.

15

John, Sounds to me like a lot of good suggestions. They won't break the bank and are good, solid things to do to the car. BTW, how many miles on the engine and what rear end do you have?

its got 109k on the car and it has a 9 inch rear end. Engine runs very strong and turns over with ease

35

Don't go cheap. Along with a new intake and cam, look into a set of good heads. If your gonna do anything to improve horsepower, you should do it right the first time, otherwise you'll just end up doing things over later. What kind of budget are you working with? and what kind of power do you hope to get out of the car? Good luck.

I dont really have a budget to spend on the car. I just get what I want when I have the cash. Im not looking to go cheap on anything, just the less expensive upgrades first and see what I get from that. I was also talking to a guy lastnight and he said a set of heads from a 351 would help alot...anyone have any knowledge that it actually will??

go with a 750 holley carb,cam, solid lifters.that will beef it up.

6,675

At 109k miles even with a well running motor I wouldn't do internal work on the engine unless a complete rebuild is done. Stick with bolt-ons. That's just me. Others might argue.

155

This is just my opinion.....if your engine is stock and running well, don't start changing cams and lifters. A 750 Holley might be too big for a 302, I have a Demon 725 on a rebuilt (30 over) 302 and it's kinda lazy at lower rpm. Once she gets up to about 50mph, there isn't too many people that can stay with me but for city driving you might be better of with a 600.

5

id start with heads,cam,gears.hell just put a blower on it.

15

i would check the condition of the engine block.And if it is in good standing on the cheap start with a set of gt40p heads and and a edelbrock air gap intake and a edelbrock 650 double pumper carb and 1.6 roller rockers and shorty headers and a full exhaust with 40 series mufflers from flowmaster and u will gain 60-75hp and a good set of gears 3:55s

15

start with gt40p heads timing chain 1.6 roller rockers shorty headers and a 650 double pumper carb and a full exhaust with 40 series mufflers from flowmasters and a fresh set of 3:73 gears and timing chain u will spend 2,000.00 $$ but well worth the 75hp and about 80lbs of torque.