73 not getting fuel

5

Asked by Jan 15, 2011 at 09:31 PM about the 1973 Ford Mustang

my 1973 mach 1 mustang is not pumping fuel even though i replaced the fuel pump...could it be the fuel lines are clogged or what because i really love this car and dont wanna get rid of it so if some one could tell me what to do i would appreciate it.

675

1. make sure there is gas in the tank 2. pull the line off that goes to the fuel pump from the tank and put a chunk of hose on it, put that hose in a gas can and see if it pumps fuel 3. you can try to suck on the fuel line, if you suck on it and pressure doesn't build there is a leak in the line somewhere, if it builds pressure and you don't suck up a bunch of fuel eventually, then it is clogged I would use those steps to get a better understanding of what could be wrong, or at least eliminate some of the options

35

pull feed line from tank to pump at pump pull gas cap and blow air through line have some one listen at tank this should clear any line blockage if no air at tank then listen for air blowing along fuel line path repair leaks also drop tank and replace pickup screen after all this time probably in bad shape if car has been sitting might be full of varnish had 71 notchback with 351c 2v fmx trans my friends hated that car cause they would get me comming off the line but if i was back to their fender before i hit second it was all over for them would walk right pastand leave