Hello. I have a 68 straight 6 mustang. My car brakes hard left when i push on the brakes and I don't know anything about cars, sadly. How do I fix it?

Asked by Aug 05, 2012 at 02:25 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang

It brakes hard left and you have to slam on the brakes for the car to actually start stopping.

56,705

Do you have power brakes? If so, vacuum booster is probably bad. As far as the pulling when the brakes are applied you may have a bad caliper, if you have front disc brakes. Or a bad (clogged) front brake line. If you have drums up front, could be a bad wheel cylinder, or a bad line again. You'll want to get the front brakes looked at ASAP as this is a safety issue!! HTH. -Jim

5,955

Your brake is grabbing on the left side or your right brake isn't working. Shouldn't have anything to do with the brake booster, that just helps with pushing down the brake pedal. The grabbing could be caused from a piston that is stuck on one of the front brake calipers if your car has disc brakes. If it has drum brakes then a wheel cylinder probably is leaking brake fluid all over your brake shoes causing them not to grab like they should. but the other side is, causing it to pull hard to one side or another. I doubt if it is anything else. Those two problems are relatively common and not too hard to fix by a qualified mechanic. Either way, if you do not know anything about cars, then take it to a qualified repair shop that does brake work and let them fix it right away as the problem will not fix itself or go away without a repair and as this could cause serious damage to you, your car and/or someone else's car if you lose control of the vehicle because of the brakes not working correctly. Kenny/MrBlueOval

Best Answer

thank you for your answer. i was looking at the car and did find the problem and you are correct. there was a leak in the brake fluid. we are going to fix it and put clean brake fluid in the master cylinder. until we do that i assure you we will not drive in it on the roads, like you said it is to dangerous.

2,705

you didnt say if you have front disk or drum brakes, drum brakes are notorious for going out of adjustment and pulling to one side, so all that might be needed is adjustment, if you have disk brakes, chances are one of the calipers is frozen, either way get them fixed.....you said you gave a line leaking, so a total inspection od the brakwe system is in order, safety first, fix it before it really becomes a problem

4,275

Dont just fill up the master, bleed every wheel until it runs clear! Use fresh UNOPENED brake fluid.

I have a 98 mustang that pulls to the right . I put new calipers & hoses on both sides along with new fluid. Still pulls , when breaking in gravel r-front locks up. Could it be the proportioning block?

5,955

NO, The proportioning valve only equalizes pressure for front and rear brakes, not left and right. Open both bleeder valves in front and let the fluid run free for a minute or two keeping the reservoir full on the master. Then bleed them again normally going from right side to left side, then right to left again until you get a hard pedal. You probably have an air lock on that side of the car. Letting them run open will purge the lines of any air as long as you keep the master full while doing so . Good Luck, Kenny / MrBlueOval