Brake problems

Asked by Apr 13, 2011 at 03:52 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang

I recently purchased a 1968 Mustang coup. I had major issues with the manual brakes so I replaced the brake booster, master cylinder, both front wheel cylinders, bled the brake lines and adjusted the brake shoes as much as possible. My brake pedal is still very soft. Any ideas?

booster rod is not adjusted right,dod you bench blead the master cylender ,if it is not bled it will have air in it.did you adj breaks with wheels on or off,they have to be on adjuster is behind where wheel cylender is,just below it is a slot use break adjusting tool,tighten breaks to where their is a good drag on wheel when you try turning tire it should be hard to turn,being a 68 all 4 need to be adj the same.

Thank you for responding, I have tried all these things but to no avail. I even installed new wheel cylinders on the rear wheels and went through the entire system this morning, again to no avail. I feel sure that the system still has air trapped in it but I have bled all four wheels, the master cylinder and adjusted the brake shoes and I am still having the same problem.

have someone push the break peddle get under it see if you see any fluid squrting from one of the metal lines,one may have a pin hole in it.they run down the inside frame rail,the metal ones,did the new booster come with the valve in it,the plastic one that a rubber hose hooks to or did you use the old one,try a new one.check that hose for cracks,softness or a split where it hooks to intake.does it pump up a hard peddle with engine off,if not it is a bad booster.new parts can be bad.