I have a 68 mustang coupe In-6 and i want to put a 289 engine in it. what all would i have to do to the suspension in order to make it work or would i have to do anything?

5

Asked by Aug 10, 2009 at 04:24 PM about the 1968 Ford Mustang

35

change the whole suspension...unless u want an agressive stance then i'd leave it be...but i'd change the struts towers and steering just so it don't ruin anything

5

To do it right you would need to swap out the front suspension for a V-8 set up. Would probably also be a good idea to upgrade the brakes to 5 lugs. You can get a good suspension kit fairly cheap and it should have most of what you would need.

5

put the v8 coil springs and shocks the hard parts are the same to any engine mustang

5

i have a 1965 that had a6 cylinder you have to change the hole front end and maybe the rear different thottle linkage motor mounts and transmission linkage and iwould upgrade the front brakes

475

The difference in weight is around 50-75#'s. When I did it, I only had to change to stronger (V-8) front springs. I intalled a 351cid Cleveland with a C-6 tranny with no significant extra work or parts. While engine out, make sure that all suspension is in good working order and replace necessary parts. In early V-8 Mustangs, the front compacts tend to close at the top, so I decided to build a tower reinforcement from tower to tower. All '68 came 5 lugs. You could upgrade (strongly recommended) to a good set of disc brakes in the front. Hope this help.

5

Ok. Thank you

5

it depends on how much you want to spend vs how you want it to perform i would look into air ride suspension if i were you air bags are great for handling not just for low riders anymore

Go with springs, air suspensions cost a lot and suck even more than they cost. Air bags are prone to leaking and premature failure.

155

In my opinion, if you're going to go thru the trouble of changing your whole front end, I would put in the extra cash and go with a coil-over conversion from TCP. You'll get great handling, modern technology with the benefits of an adjustable suspension. I put it on my 67 coupe (302ci V8) and it makes a dramatic difference.

55

I would change the springs and add disc brake on front end better stopping for more motor