4 to 5 lug conversion

Asked by Jan 13, 2013 at 04:49 PM about the 1966 Ford Mustang

I have a 1966 mustang 6 cylinder with a 4 lug bolt pattern, I want to put some ss cragars on it. The problem is they are all 5 lug the 4 lug wheels are limited. Question what is needed for the conversion. Least expensive, easiest , but not taking any shortcuts on safety and reliability. Could someone help me on this matter. coach_headrick@yahoo.com.

99,255

If your worried about safety, don't use spacers. There are two types of spacers. The safe type are round metal disks with holes in them. The unsafe type have lugs sticking out. Some will allow you to convert from four to five lug. The problem with them is that some are cheap and the studs pull out of the disk and your wheel falls off. It's not inexpensive or easy but the right way to convert is to change the hubs over to five stud. Might as well upgrade those drum brakes to discs. --- Find a Mustang forum and talk to owners that have done a conversion. They will be able to tell you what parts work the best. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums -- http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/ -- http://mustangforums.com/forum/

20

You'll have to get new front spindles and rear axle shafts. Expect to pay around $600 all in.