rough idle, engine dies

5

Asked by May 18, 2009 at 11:49 PM about the 1966 Ford Mustang

When i start my car it idles rough and then dies.  i just rebuilt the carb, but that didn't help.  thereis enough fuel flowing.  i can't figure out what else could be wrong.  its a 1966 with a 289 2v.

11,985

Too many possibilities - Choke thermostat adjustment / Pulloff adjustment - vacuum leak /fuel pressure ??? Cant help

175

I had that problem on my '67 (also a 289 2v) coupe, turned out to be a vacuum leak on the hot air choke tube. It would idle rough and stall when cold but run fine once it was warmed up. I fixed the leak and can cold start it without using the choke. Hope that helps.

1,285

If this problem happens when you are starting the car cold , it might be a choke problem. The choke needs to be set up to provide the right amount of fast cold idle , as well as enough air needs to get by the choke plate after starting ( this requires the choke pull off , or choke break to be set up properly too) Carb re builders sometimes just set up the carb to run , and not to the specs of the individual vehicle. You will need to set up the carb to the specs of the vehicle.

85

i have the same problem with my 95. very erratic idle when i first start it.(revs up to 3k rpm then down to 400 rpm and the car shakes and chugs, then levels out around 650 rpm) brand new battery, just had the throttle body cleaned, and the altenator tested.

first off you said you rebuilt the carb right? did you clean out the idle air adjustment screws for the jets? if so you may have to readjust them. have you checked the points?(probably a stupid question, I know but I always started with the easiest then went forward from there) What else have you done with the engine besides carb rebuild?