How do I fix my starter?

Asked by Feb 01, 2015 at 02:50 PM about the 1984 Chevrolet Camaro

I have an 1984 Z28 Camaro. I had to store my car because I rode back from college with a friend. When I came back after a month the battery had no charge. I replaced the battery with a charged new one. Afterwards I attempted to crank the engine. My car has a manual choke so I had to put gas through the system. At first it was turning over and then suddenly it stopped and wouldn't make a sound. Whatever help you could give would be appreciated!

495

HI, You said that your starter was not engaging,so Iam going to give you an old SHADETREE MECHANIC trick to get your starter to engage.Get your car off the ground so you can slide under to see the starter.You need to get a freind to help you with this trick.You slide under your car with a hammer and your freind turns the ignition over whjle you are tapping on the starter with the hammer.This will get your stuck starter loose and start working.GOOD LUCK!!!!!

68,635

Sounds like you overheated and burned out the starter from excessive cranking. After about 15 to 20 seconds of cranking the starter should be allowed to cool off for about 5 minutes. Next time, to avoid this problem, disconnect the negative (-) battery cable if you plan on not using the car. This way the battery won't go dead. Since you have a carburetor the fuel in the float bowl evaporated away while it was sitting. To help get it started after sitting use some starting fluid and spray 1 or 2 short bursts straight down the carburetor. This will avoid the excessive cranking by allowing the engine to run on the starting fluid for a few seconds and fill up the float bowl faster. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times until the float bowl is full and then it'll run on it's own. HTH. -Jim