I'am getting gas in to my oil pan.

115

Asked by May 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM about the 1973 Chevrolet Camaro

I have a 73 Camaro I rebuilt the motor 19 yr ago been sitting for 15 yr  now I started to work on it again and found out I'am getting gas in to my oil pan.

86,615

Fuel pump leaking into oil pan is the most common problem.

115

I got a electric fuel pump.

86,615

Ok, so if you put on a block off plate where the fuel pump use to be then you can rule that one out, so the only other place that fuel can get in is via the carb, it may need to be gone through again after setting all that time and make sure you get a kit that is Ethanol upgraded this stuff they call fuel is very hard rubber components, like needles for the float and fuel lines

Best Answer
115

I just rebuilt the 780cfm holley put a trick kit in it last weekend but I haven't started it yet. The gass went to the pan before I rebuilt the carb Got Ethanol shield I put in the gas tank. The engine is an LT/1 350 with 400hp. so I would hate to ruin the engine.

86,615

You have to get the floats just right on those Hollies or you will have flooding or starvation, I setup the one's I did with the fuel level in the bowls just under the bowl level site holes. If the stock fuel pump is gone then that is the only way the raw gas can get into the crankcase is via the carb.

115

Yes I set the floats by turning the bowls up side down like the instruction said but I haven't stated it yet I still have to change the oil. but I did a compression test on cylinder's. Four cylinder's are 130 psi and three are at 100psi and one at 75psi. So I put some oil in each cylinder and tomorrow I'll do another compression test.

86,615

EEEGH 75 lbs I hope the rings aren't starting to fail after setting, sometimes that happens too. Oil might help. Setting the needle and seat using the upside down adjustment is a good base line setting but you may still have to adjust them once you get it up and running.

115

The motors only has about 3000 miles on it but I lost my drivers license because I started to have epilepsy so I got despressed and park it in the garage for 15 yr. and its to much power for my wife to handle.

86,615

I had a friend that drove a hotrod 71 ElCamino that was making about 375HP and he lost his sight far enough that they pulled his license and his wife said it was too much for her also so he put in some really high rear end gears, If I remember right I think they were 2.75 and a rev limiter, after that she felt more comfortable driving it as it didn't try to as she said "yank my head off" when starting out. Something to think about.

115

Well put some lucas oil treatment in the cylinders and let it sit overnight did aother compression test and thanks to my step father Tony told me to do and it worked 4 cylinder @ 140 and the other 4 @ 130 so I put some more lucas oil treatment an let it over night an then do another test. I changed the oil hope gas does not seep in to the oil Thanks everybody for the help.an thanks tennisshoes for the advice.

115

Now got that fixed no gas in the oil pan. Now tried to start it and now somethings knocking in the pan or maybe rocker arm, for got how to prime the oil pump hope thats it.

needle and seat are defective.~

115

I started it out of the car and it ran perfect even got video of it running but as soon has I put the motor in the car every thing started to go wrong like I got gas in the oil pan fixed that, now knocking in the engine I don't no if the oil pump need primed or rocker arms hope it isn't a bearing,Now wht else can go wrong.

get that gassy oil out of there and run with a thick oil until the knocking subsides~

86,615

You can buy the oil pump primer rod at most parts stores, then just remove the distributor taking note of where it is set, put the rod in your electric drill, position rod into oil pump slot and spin away, you should be able to hear the oil flowing into the system or if you have manual gauge you can watch the oil pressure climb and then stabilize and that it when your oiling system is fully charged, then reassemble and that should do it.

115

The konck was that I put a dent in the oil pan when I was putting it in the car. I was letting it down and the host went to fast and landed on the cross member and put a dent in the front. So I took the oil pan off today an knocked the dent out lucky I did cause the oil filter screen was on the bottom of the pan. Going to put it back on tomorrow. I felt like a $%^$##$%^

a blacksmith....you should be proud.~