I think that I have A 70 Chevelle SS? However, the car came with factory drum brakes not disc brakes and the rearend had long been removed along with engine and tranny. All the necessary SS venues dash etc are their, but the hood is a plain hood. Stripes are on hood and trunk alogn with hood keys? What do I actually have here?

40

Asked by Jul 16, 2016 at 06:03 PM about the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

Car has all SS options, SS on back bumper, Dash, fender markings, stripes, but plain hood with stripes on front and back

35

LOOK UP UNDER GLOVE BOX FOR A BUILD SHEET.

Best Answer Mark helpful
40

Where on the glove box ?

71,875

Look on the firewall for the trim tag. It'll be on the driver's side. You'll see a bunch of letters and numbers embossed on it. That should tell you. But you'll need to be able to decode the information. To do that visit the GM Heritage Center's website. You can download, for free, the complete information packet for the 1970 Chevelle. This information will allow you to decode the trim tag. HTH. -Jim

40

I know enough about chevelle a to be dangerous :) What do u feel this car is giving the current discription?

71,875

Sounds like it was used as a parts car. Either to build a SS clone, or restore another SS. You might be able to get a copy of the original factory to dealer invoice from Allied Vaughn for $50. Google "gm media archives" and the site will come up. I know they have them for Cadillac and certain Pontiac years. If you're seriously interested in the car it may be worth the fifty dollars to find out. You can also look under the back seat for the build sheet. GM frequently put them under there in between the seat spring and foam cushion. Please let us know what you find out! HTH. -Jim

40

Jim thank you for the info ! I will check out those resources. The car interior all gone bs carpet door panels console. Was auto in floor . However bucket seats are their bad shape but still useable. Strange ? What really throws. Me is the hood. Base chevelle hood wth stripes and hood pins ,

71,875

You're welcome. Glad to help. It does sound interesting. Maybe it was hit at some point and the correct hood wasn't available at that time? HTH. -Jim

40

And those non disc brakes on the front

1,065

Drum Brakes not normal for SS, should be power front disc , but not impossible to swap, usually swaps done other way

40

That is what has me so puzzled about this car . Everything is their for SS but a couple of odd twist exist! the rearend evidently was value they jerked it left the front with drum breakers. The hood base with stripes and hood pins

71,875

On the GM Heritage Center website you can download the complete information packet for the '70 Chevelle line at no cost. I just did and looking at it quickly, it makes no mention of disc brakes being standard with the Super Sport option package. It might be there but I just skimmed over the information. HTH. -Jim

71,875

It's option code J52 or 152. Kinda hard to tell. -Jim

40

Jim wow thank you so much for the assistance! I had always thought disc brakes were standard on all SS models which helped to identify a true SS! This may explain my confusion regarding one aspect of this car and verify this as a true Chevelle SS!

1,065

Some useful stuff on GM Heritage pages... Page 62 of 159 Super Chevy Showcase, third column last paragraph ...Power disc brakes (64.25) were standard on SS models - JL2 front disc - J50 Power brakes - listed under optional equipment (page 5 Dimensions and Weights) ...but as part of the SS package -on page 84/159 "Power Assists" JL2 included when SS package is ordered, J50 not not available when SS package ordered... Z15 and Z25 options were SS in 1970 http://chevellestuff.net/1970/70ss.htm

71,875

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

40

Jim that is tremendous research! I think I comprehend some of that info, however could you put that in simple laymen terms please? And what does that mean regarding my chevelle?