How much would a 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 cost if it has no engine, transmission, wheels, seats, lights, bumpers, and is completely rusted out?

10

Asked by Nov 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM about the 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

Car has no engine, bumpers, wheels,
transmission, seats, headlights and
tail lights. Chassis, floor panels, and
brakes are rusted out.

scrap steel value~

Best Answer
12,415

Scrap parts are worth more than the car itself at this point. Door handles? Fenders in fair condition? Perhaps sell them. Find something that has car parts on it. If you own it and don't want to part it out, sell it for junk, that sounds like what you have. Hi Roy!

905

If it has a vehicle identification number and is a real SS 454 then it is probably worth more than scrap... check out DynacornClassics which sells complete bodies - and note the state specific vehicle links... depending on the state in which you live and intended use of the vehicle (hobby, antique, etc.) a vehicle registration number can be valuable.

12,415

Went to SQUATT's suggested site. Very interesting and entertaining. Nearly $15,000 for a reconditioned or new stamped body, bumpers, front fenders, interior, wiring, lights, drive train, wheels, tires, suspension, steering components, 454 motor, transmission, brakes, glass, interior, badges, paint, fuel tank and system, radio, heater, AC and fuzzy die, your looking at $50,000 or more to do it right. A decision to make. Is the frame you have rusted? Need to be reconditioned or get a new one? Adds up. Junk yard parts are just that, what are you getting? What can you get a real one already fixed up for? If you have time and money, go for it. It will be fun and a worthwhile long project. If your not to well versed in doing this, you will give up in a few years and have a lot of ports you can't unload. I already had my 69 Corvette, poured nearly the cost of a new one into it, but will never recoup the money or time spent.

10

Thanks for the help, I checked the VIN and it is a 454, I think I may end up buying it, I'd love to have a car to work on.

12,415

Good decision. Now do you want to modify it a little, or keep it original looking as much as possible? Since everything will be not from the factory and you are really building a car from scratch, I'd look into some modern improvements, but keep the body stock looking. Keep tyhe engine bay uncluttered and clean, paint and polish there will really set it apart from others. That is what you really want besides a great ride. Don't lower it or put air shocks on a great looking car, it cheapens it and may not be a comfortable ride. Interior? Bucket seats, floor shifter, and center counsel. Good leather trim, nice mats, AC and power steering,. You can get a fine finished product for little money if you do it wisely. Keep pictures of your progress.

10

I'm thinking an original look on the outside, and some parts for a bit more performance, 4-speed transmission and a modern audio system, maybe a comp tach on the dash.

12,415

Try the 5 speed, better acceleration, and higher top gears for good mileage. I got a Tremec 5 speed in my Corvette and it is great. Have fun. Look into some of the Chevy crate motors all set up, ready to go. Bolt in, turn the key and drive. Less headache.