I HAVE AN 86 CAMERO IT STARTS BUT WONT CRANK HAS GAS

25

Asked by Jul 24, 2011 at 02:23 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet Camaro

CAR WILL START BUT WONT CRANK SAYS IT HAS GAS CAN HEAR THE FUEL PUMP
KICK ON AND OFF

655

well first off its camaro not camero, and nobodys gona know what you mean by it starts but wont crank because if its starting it is obviuosly cranking

the 86 camaro had a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump.

25

im not sure of the right term to use but let me explain briefly what its doing....one morning i went to crank it up to go feed my horse. ok i put the key in turn it and it acts like theres no gas in it it will sit and wing but not fire on up. when you turn the key to the on position you can hear the fuel pump kick on and then go off it is a 6 cylinder automatic im at my wits end had a friend check he says the fuel pump and fuel filter are ok. i honestly thought you need to change the filter in order to know. thanks for any help you maybe able to give me; Krys

25

that was a typo so excuse me,,,,, im not sure of the right term to use but let me explain briefly what its doing....one morning i went to crank it up to go feed my horse. ok i put the key in turn it and it acts like theres no gas in it it will sit and wing but not fire on up. when you turn the key to the on position you can hear the fuel pump kick on and then go off it is a 6 cylinder automatic im at my wits end had a friend check he says the fuel pump and fuel filter are ok. i honestly thought you need to change the filter in order to know. thanks for any help you maybe able to give me; Krys

13,535

Remove the gas line going into the carburetor. Have a friend "crank" the motor. Do you have gas flow? If so, reconnect it and now remove a spark plug. Put the wire back on and with a plastic handled plyer, hold the plug close to something on the vehicle and have the motor cranked again. Spark? If so replace the plug. Your problem then may be in the carburetor. Remove the filter, look down the carburetor, and have your buddy pump the gas peddle. Is gas shooting out the jets into the carb? If you have injectors and it is a EFI, pull the injector and crank it. Gas shooting out the injectors? If not, the EF?I may be the problem. Take each issue one at a time and eliminate what does not need fixing.

75

my 90 camaro did that found out the fuel pump was only working at 30 percent i had to cut a hole in the hump in the back of the car replaced it and she fired up mine was the 3.1 v6 also

13,535

Glad you found the problem.

10

I have a 1991 Camaro RS that had the same problem, replaced a bad fuel pump and the problem persisted. After much troubleshooting and part replacements, it ended up being the pickup coil in the distributor. The ECM gets the single from it, to know when to "squirt" the fuel injectors. This is on a Multi-Port Injection 3.1L V6