I can't figure out which wire to run the hot wire too?

5

Asked by Apr 20, 2016 at 10:19 PM about the 1992 Toyota Camry

Both fans are not working av is on full blast car overheating at stops.checked
all fuses.just got a multi tester to check relays.some info on that process
would help. Also what wire do I connect the hot wire too the wire that I'm
running to check fans?

27,165

so there is no power to the fans??even when the a/c is on????

5

NO there's power they just don't turn on.i read that I can take a wire connect it to the battery and then connect it to the fans to see if the motors are shot I want to know where do I connect the hot wire

5

I Just unplugged the switch at the radiator both fans came on. Switched the ac relays and nothing same both fans are not working. What does that tell you. Lmk thanks

Unfortunately...Toyota did a good job of engineering these fans circuits so nobody can figure out how it supposed to work. This system has 3 fan relays controlling 2 fans. One fan is for the engine cooling system...the other is for extra cooling when the AC is operating ....or...a sever overheat is occurring. The fact that BOTH FANS FUNCTION when you DC that "Rad Switch" and both fans turn ON...tells me both fans are OK. What you have is an electrical issue somewhere in the rest of the circuit. Having said all that...how are we going to trouble shoot this problem? You really need a WIRING DIAGRAM of this circuit and that Volt Meter you mentioned. With out the wiring diagram...all you can do is replace parts till it's fixed...or...run her with the temp switch DC. Let's try searching the Internet and see if anyone else has had this problem and FIXED IT.

BTW...that switch you dc at the radiator is most likely the fan switch. When the engine coolant reaches normal operating temperature(NOT)...that switch OPENS and allows the fans to run. Use that meter you now have and check RESISTANCE/CONTINUITY of that switch. When the coolant is COLD....the switch should be CLOSED(continuity) When the coolant is at NOT the switch should be OPEN. Let us know how you make out...with that switch that is.

Curious...what finally was the successful repair for this vehicle?