Car won't start

10

Asked by Jan 02, 2016 at 10:55 AM about the 1995 Toyota Camry

Just replaced starter, has new battery &
terminals, it try's to turn over but won't

38,445

Try to have it jump started. If it fires right up, I would say that something has drained your battery. Is this the first try at starting it with the new battery and starter? Or have you been driving it a couple of days?

10

First try with a year old recently checked to make sure it was not a battery issue with the starter. It has not started for about a month but husband has recharged battery after so many failed attempts

38,445

Try a jump start. If the battery has been sitting around for a year and the car hasn't been started in over a month, the battery may appear to be fine, but it most likely isn't. I have made the mistake of assuming that the battery was good, when in fact it wasn't. I even had the battery tested on a load tester and it passed. I then replaced the starter on the car, but it still wouldn't start. If I jump started the car, it would run fine. But it would never turn over on it's own. I finally changed the battery, and magically the car started every time. :) Don't be fooled by the battery. Try a jump start. If it starts, replace the battery.

10

No, misunderstood... I have been driving until about 1 1/2 months ago. I took my battery back to place I got and they dud some check plus looked inside the cells. It was purchased 4/2014. Last battery I had for at least 8 years. Plus husband charged. But I did try jumping it today with still no luck. Acts like it's going to start any minute but doesn't. I don't know how to know if the starter relay is good or not. What do I try next please??

38,445

Okay, so the engine is NOT turning over at all, correct? All you are hearing is a clicking? Not sure what you mean by, "it sounds like it's going to start any minute, but doesn't". That statement sounds as if the engine is turning over, but not firing up. Need to know exactly what is happening when you try to start it up. Makes a huge difference in the diagnosis. Thanks.

10

correct, not turning over but it is trying. it's like it isnt getting gas or something..

38,445

Remove gas cap, put ear to the hole, have someone turn key to Accessory. You should hear the fuel pump hum for a few seconds. If you can't hear a hum, your fuel pump has failed.