Where are the O2 sensors located on a 2001 toyota haighlander V6?

310

Asked by Apr 12, 2013 at 07:00 AM about the 2001 Toyota Highlander

I can visually see one of the O2 sensors on the front of the motor (Exhaust manifold) when I open the hood, but where is the othe O2 sensor located on this vehicle?  A picture would be nice.  thanks

310

So is it the one just after the catalytic converter that appear to have wiring that goes up through the floor under the driver side seat? Someone else said there is 2 up by the motor and that one by the converter? A little confused.lol

this is the downstream 02 sensor 2001 Highlander V6

I took down that other one because it was wrong that one id the one on the exhaust manifold.

310

ok. Sorry to sound so simple, but there is one on the front (exhaust manifold), and one just before the catalytic converter (Wiring goes up through floor under driver seat), and where is the other located?

no need to apologize. that's why we are here. I will show you that, but first here is a video it is for Toyota Sienna bit it's the same process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlt-rc6_cVA..now I will get an image if I can if not at least a description

Does that image help?

310

Not really. On the front of the motor where exhaust manifold connects, there is on sticking out. The exhaust then goes down under the vehicle and back towards the rear of the vehicle where I see the one you were referring to just after the catalytic converter. Still a little confused as to where the other is located?

There are two "banks" each with a sensor, There is bank 1 sensor one and bank 2 sensor 1...in the image the arrows come from the exploded view and point to where on the car. right by the flange where the manifold is attached to exhaust pipe. You will not be able to see it with the undercarriage pan on

Put another way, All are heated 02 sensors, there is bank 1, sensor 1 ...bank 1 sensor 2....then... bank 2 sensor 1... and bank 2, sensor 2. But again you will have to take the under engine mud pan off to see them..there are two separate exhaust pipes one for each bank, or side of the V6 ..did you click the image? Important! it will fill half the screen and is very good illustration

well at least you clicked helpful I see..I don't know if that means you got your question answered...I certainly hope so...what's the trouble anyway? is one or more of them bad? They last a very long time.

90,155

It seems like Duke wants to put eyes on the sensor. He could be planning on replacing it. If the Highlander still has the original upstream sensor(s), it's overdue for changing.

Yep, he does not mention mileage but I have to agree, they do last a long time but not forever..and I got to thinking I don't know for a fact who clicked helpful, maybe somebody else? that image is so good (I think anyway) it shows everything, and it is a 2001 Highlander, I found it in images for 02 sensors but before I posted it I went to the page it came from to make sure

Duke9192 if you're suspicious about this sensor, pull it out and test it, inspect to see if it's been eaten away, if it tests okay, put it back-

It's always a puzzle for us, automakers frequently change their minds about stuff due to legal reasons, or paranoia.....we still don't use the metric system...see my point. Does this sensor have any output? that's why I was asking you to test it. It works in the land of micro-voltages, so if it not an open or zero ohms, we're probably gonna be okay with that one~

I've seen it to where the critical material was eaten away, leaving just a cavity, still made with the microvoltages though...this was on an Isuzu Impulse, on the main exhaust pipe-

.http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t26755_ds544223.. that will make it easier to get the link not having it on two lines. I hope.

90,155

I found the thread but I know enough about CVT transmission to not own one. It's a good theory but there seems to be issues with them. I also heard that they do not get rebuilt when they wear out. That could be a tale.

310

Sorry. I work in a prison and had to step away from my desk for a while. I will take that black cover off of the bottom and see if I can see it. I had two codes popping up for the oxygen sensor and I have noticed a decrease in fuel efficiency. So I figured I needed to get them fixed since over the long haul I would be paying for them in gas?lol Thanks

310

Oh yea...The vehicle has 95k miles on it. Someone was asking about the mileage.

Yep, they get weak around 60k to 80k and at 100k if they are even still working they need to be replaced anyway. Not functioning properly will mess up fuel/air trim

310

10-4. Hopefully when I take that black plastic off of the bottom I can get a good visual of the other sensor and get it out. The one on the front is right there where you can get it.

They took down my diagram, it is becoming more and more difficult to find images of public domain, I looked very very carefully and say no watermark or copyright on it, I am aware that CarGurus can not allow copyrighted images, that I understand. but I really checked and I suppose they guy that does it saw something I didn't, oh well, it was such a good one though

see here, if you can call it up on your computer, from the web, all controls have been lifted at that point- any controls should have been used already, like putting the images into .png which makes transfer a little difficult...but cannot escape the camera takin' a snap, which is what I usually do if the source is stubborn about sharing~

here we go, click on the image to enlarge