why is my 2003 tacoma idle high and slack in throttle line, after I replaced the throttle body?

280

Asked by Jul 13, 2013 at 07:17 PM about the 2003 Toyota Tacoma

....well high idle can be attributed to the vacuum hose removed at the pressure regulator~ should have taken pictures because you missed a clamp...perhaps holdin' her steady capn' for the entry to the business end...this one still has a cable? thought they were all drive-by-wire anymore at this point in automotive history~

280

No vacuum leaks. Its doing the same thing it was doing before I put the new throttle body on. When I disconnect a battery cable and reconnect, it runs fine, with no play in throttle. But when I shut the engine off and restart, it idles high and play/slack is back in the throttle. Please help!!!

does this one have a 'thermo-time switch?'....will investigate~

okay no...I guess...robot keeps coming up with temperature sensor as it's solution...do we believe the friendly robot?

the ambient air conditions tell the ECU how much to enrich the air/fuel mix...perhaps this device is not working properly~

I trust you got the slack out by putting the bushings in there out of the kit if there was one or clamping correctly in the right spots?

280

No sir, the slack is in the new throttle body. All of them have it. Someone mentioned that it has to relearn. I've tried everything. Do you think a sensor is bad?

280

Photo

280

Photo

101,725

Faulty throttle position sensor could cause this type of issue. Also appears in your picture that you might have a vacuum line missing.

280

The TPS came on the new throttle body. Which vacuum line is missing?

the somewhat larger vacuum hose coming out of the filter box is cracked at the exit of the filter box...replace cracked butyl rubber with silicone---not quite sure which line dandyoun things isn't there....aside from the visibly cracked butyl rubber hose am going to have to study the pic...

hey....there is an adjustment right there to take out the slack~

280

I will replace the hose and continue to search for a soloution to the high idle and slack in throttle.

the exit barrel the tps is activated has a screw thread for taking out any extra play....did you not see that one?

280

No sir.

okay in your first "photo' the adjustment looks cheesed off, in your second photo it looks like there is at least ten MM of adjustment...is there no adjustment and the cable looks ragged like in the first Photo?

280

Hey Judge, the slack is in the throttle on the throttle body, not the cable. When I reset by disconnecting the battery cable and reconnecting, the slack goes away, and everything operates fine. But when I shut the vehicle off and restart it, it idles high and slack is back in the throttle. When this happens, the vehicle changes out rought.

there isn't a rotary adjustment on that TPS?...you sure?

280

I'll send you a photo of the TPS.

280

This is the top of the TPS.

280

Photo 2

looks like your ears are in a fixed position...some have crescent slots that allow you to zone in on the correct location....do you have the correct replacement unit?

280

This is just like my TBS.

guess you know what needs to be done now~

280

What's the process? Loosen both screws and rotate clockwise? Please give me step by step.

280

I imagine you are sleepy, therefore, tomorrow will be fine.

well perhaps with the motor running, loosen till still gripping slightly, then rotate until it "feels right"...I mean I could do some research to find voltages and amperages and such, but would need to study the schematic...it is actually a beautiful night here in Clearlake...today got over 95 degrees but a big L is takin' over and I'm enjoying every minute of it~...makes me want to make another pot of coffee---~

bet it's going to be the point at which it starts to affect the cable...that would be the "sweet spot"~ goodnight my friend~

someone put yellow 'caution' paint on that...so you could put it back the way it was? there has to be a good reason....

hell with their paint...it has to be tuned properly~

280

Thank you, Judge_Roy!!! I will give you an update tomorrow evening.

to ask your prior inquiry about the vacuum line, I was talking about your fuel pressure regulator that if the line gets cracked or falls off the engine will be pullin' vacuum and not letting full flow of gasoline...a one two punch and will not be detected by your onboard diagnostics OBD-II~

280

After I make the adjustments, does the system need to relearn?

You know I've never had any system ask to have space to "relearn" the sensors are there...the parameters are all preset...really not sure of where this "relearn" business came from...I mean if you are swapping out ECU units for example may take some time to learn the new parameters but honestly, turn the tps until you are comfortable with it (probably JUST out of the slack that may be there) and cinch it down~ if it is not running right...we will have to consult the OBD-II diagnostics then~

....speaking of idle speed, you've got an idle air control valve that may or may not be actin' right~

280

Well Judge, no luck. Doing the same damn thing!!! This is a brand new throttle body.

THE IAC (idle air control) is messin' up~....noted above, perhaps you could get a cheap second from pickNpull~

280

Where is it located on the vehicle?

It has been a pleasure workin' with you jtubbs, all I can say is we climbed through the planes of hell together...hopefully the IAC will make it all worthwhile~

will find a cartoon~

okay slapped to the bottom of your throttle body~