2003 celica at 60 and above it's starting to overheat but stop and go and idle and under 40 fine no problems? I'm lost

45

Asked by Jan 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM about the 2003 Toyota Celica

thought stuck thermostat first but that can't be. So I'm confused don't know where to start.... possibly was thinking a worn hose that could be sucking shut caused by an air pocket?? thee car did sit for about 1.5 years titling issues was my mom's and she took very good care of the car also the car tripped the catalytic code and then it went away next day??? soon as check engine went away no longer will car drive at speeds also when overheating it blows cold air only. Another puzzler?????? please help

109,955

Could be a hose collapsing. That might explain the loss of heat when it's over heating due to reduced coolant flow. I have also seen a leaking head gasket cause the same overheating issues only at highway speeds. Check fluid levels and color. If oil is milky looking or coolant is not its normal color I would believe you might have a head gasket issue.

45

well I'll let you know going to look at it now but last night the reserve coolant clear pretty pink no muck but I'll check it and get back to you thanks for your input I appriciate it

45

OK no mix in oil or coolant and coolant doesn't seem low at first run of the fans held steady at half full in reserve. I'm a honda guy normally had 6 of em first toyota. alot more different then I would of thought. So I'm gonna run a pressure test on the system and ??????? ANY OTHER ADVISE?

109,955

If thermostat not opening completely might cause this but I would think it would run hotter than normal all the time if that was the case. Possibly radiator flow issues. Water pump issues. I read some where where there is a test kit you can get to test the coolant for exhaust gasses. Might want to look into that. Here what I am thinking. Engine gets hotter the faster you go. What if the head gasket is leaking but only just enough to allow hot exhaust gasses in coolant (causing coolant temp to climb higher than normal) but not enough mix to fluids. Just a thought.

3,065

Cl fan switch Also acfan switch