94 1.6L. Sidekick. Idles fine. Misses, hesitates, erratic under load.

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM about the 1994 Suzuki Sidekick

Replaced fuel filter, plugs,cap,rotor.
Can rev to 3000, smooth.
Under load (driving) seems to miss/chug/hesitate.
No backfire.

Oh - give me a carburetor any day.You didn't mention any dash lights so let's assume it's something simple like clogged injectors - try the most expensive injector cleaner ( you can afford). Get a product that is just designed to clean the injectors and not something that promises to be a Genie in a bottle.

Sounds like the ignition system is breaking down under load. You didn't mention that you replaced the spark plug wires. So, if you didn't, replace them now. If the problem persists test the ignition coil. They will some times break down when failing. Also, did you check the spark plug gap? A gap that is too wide will cause misfiring under load as well. HTH. -Jim

wires a good catch there Js08016, I keep forgetting that some people only do do half the job. When it's time for plugs I always do new wires - you're already in there - why go back later.

Thanks Chassy. I agree. Plugs and wires get replaced together. -Jim

I am having same problem with my 1996 sidekick. We checked: Intake, vacuum hoses, (new) wires cap, rotor and plugs. compression (read fine 150+). Timing was 2 degrees off, adjusted to perfect. And egr Calabria seemed to flow fine. The only thing we did not get to today was fuel pump/filter pressure regulator etc.Any other suggestions? I've thrown in the best fuel injector cleaner two separate tanks. Did not seem to help.