why do my brakes keep seizing up?

Asked by Aug 16, 2014 at 05:25 PM about the 2001 Suzuki Esteem

recenty, while driving my esteem, the brakes got hot and started smoking. the brakes
were seized up so badly on the front wheels, that it could barely move. after letting it sit
for a while, i heard a 'caching' noise, and they freed up enough to drive it approx. 5 miles
before they started heating up again. after replacing pads, rotors, and calipers on both
tires, (yes they were bled properly), the same thing happened. upon suggestion from a
mechanic, i replaced the soft lines incase they had collapsed on the inside. still the same
problem. today i replaced the master cylinder and took it for a drive. same thing…after
about 4 miles, they started heating up again. i have no idea what could be causing this to

Sounds like a proportional valve may not be working properly. Is it all the brakes or just a certain one?

it was the right side until i replaced the master cylinder. now the left side is doing it, albeit not as drastic as the right side was, but it is getting VERY hot.

Could be a sticking caliper. HTH. -Jim

And the soft hoses are new and not kinked or twisted in any way?

A problem from HELL !! I have it with a Ford Falcon and have already spend $500 on a new Brake booster ! I still had dragging brakes ......... after having the Brake booster adjusted it has improved a bit abd I even have drives that the wheels keep running FREE ............ but still I have this problem persisting. I am extremely annoyed because in the 40 years I have cars I have NEVER come across this dreadful terrible and seemingly UNsolvable brake problem. If I do NOT have my foot on the brake pedal I obviously don't want to slow down and want the car to roll freely WITHOUT any resistance !! Is it so hard to develop and fabricate braking systems that work properly. I find this such a shame because I like car otherwise very much ! However I will keep visiting the garage until this problem is gone for once and all !!!!

My wife's 2004 Sebring (sedan 6cyl) right rear brake was seized. Burned the pad off. I changed both rear rotors, pads and the right rear caliper. Tested it, seemed ok. She comes home after driving for a day, the same right rear is SMOKING! all other brakes are fine, just the right rear. I don't get it.