91 subaru legacy over heating 245000 miles

50

Asked by Oct 17, 2014 at 01:11 PM about the 1991 Subaru Legacy

newer water pump,  t stat and timing belt. car approaches red line after about 10
minutes of driving. Will idle at normal temps all day. Lot of pressure in upper and lower
rad hoses. Lower hose is cold upper is warm. kicking a lot of coolant int reservoir,
under a lot of pressure. No real signs of head gasket except for a small trace of a leak.
I would assume if I let the car red line for bout 2 or 3 minutes i would have steam
coming from the head(s). maybe I answered my own question but could it be
something else b4 i rip into the motor? (which would be still more than worth it I might
add)? Car has many more miles/years left in her. rule out water pump, tsat, fans, leaks,
timing belt etc Thanks!

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70385 That thread may apply to your car....ignition-- timing advance --and don't let it red-line for 2-3 minutes, if the head gasket is not already gone it will be...lean fuel/air mix will also cause heating up..vacuum leak

50

ok,thanks...ignition/timing is not adjustable on these cars. maybe ecm? with as much pressure in the system im thinking it must be head gasket. i'll be lucky w no warped heads. dont know the exact over heating history on the motor but im sure its fine

130

I'm having the same problem with my 2001 outback.....everything was done last yr. New head gaskets, water pump, belt, therosate....No signs of bad head gasket at all....Great heat, great compression, etc,,,,A week before the problem started the windows where fogging up, that stopped out of the blue and then the car started running hot....What is wrong with these subarus