Water in the Oil system

Asked by May 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM about the 1993 Subaru Loyale

Hi there - 1993 Subaru Loyale with a rebuilt engine that has had about 4,000km put on it since installation.

A friend had the rebuilt engine put in here in Alberta, then it was driven to Vancouver and rarely used.

About 3 months after purchase,  I was searching for the source of an oil leak, and found ALL the bolts around the oil pan were fingertip loose.

I've got water entering the oil system (sorry for not having the right technical term) symptom showing up as butterscotch pudding-like deposits on the inside of my oil cap when I go to add more oil.  After an oil change, the butterscotch deposits start showing up within 300km.

Any suggestions?  Oilpan gasket?  Head Gasket but the head gasket was done with the installation of the rebuilt engine... by a Subaru guru who is a friend of the friend I bought the car off.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

235

Definately sounds like a head gasket to me. It is possible the gasket had damage when it was installed. It is also possible that the head was warped after the last head gasket failed and therefore will not seal even if the gasket is in place properly. Although if this person was a guru he should have checked the head before it was reinstalled. If you pull the head again, be sure to check it for damage and deformation.