I own 97 Subaru Forester. Its stalling when I put it into gear. When I start it up it runs great but as soon as it goes into gear it will stall out.

Asked by Nov 03, 2014 at 09:23 PM about the 1998 Subaru Forester

97 Subaru Forester Turbo. 86,000 miles, check engine light goes on and off randomly.
Currently serving in Japan so the car is right side steering. It is at the shop right now
for stalling when I put it into gear. When I start it up it runs great but as soon as it goes
into gear it will stall out. The repair shop said it is flagging for the knock sensor and the
air flow sensor. They said they can swap these and see if it fixes it but no guarantee
that it will. Not trying to spend $907 on a hope. Can somebody please tell me if this
has a good chance of fixing the problem or do you think it could be something else.

is it a manual or automatic? if its an auto, does it stall when you press the brake to put it in gear, or when it goes into gear?

there could also be a vacuum leak. If it is an automatic, there is a torque converter control or tcc solenoid that can lock up. this should only happen when you are driving at highway speeds, but if it malfunctions and locks the torque converter, the engine will die. You can't do much about the knock sensor except replace it, but your mass air flow sensor can be cleaned. there is special spray cleaner for it tho, and you must use the special MAF cleaner or you will damage the sensor. The cheapest thing to do first, is check for vac leaks and clean the MAF. hope this helps

mikeatpriestlake.... the car is an automatic. The car started sputtering like it was running out of gas when i was slowing down for a stop light. Then when i got to a stop it stalled. I then started it back up and was able to get just enough out of it to make it to a parking spot. After i stopped it stalled. After i was able to keep starting the car and would run great no problems. But as soon as i put it into gear it would putter out and stall. So I let it set for a hour or so then started it back up and was able to drive it to the repair shop that was only a football field away. (Lucky). I did some research and asked around for what the problem could be. I asked the people at the repair shop about the TCC solenoid and they said there is no way they could test it. I'm almost betting its the MAF but can't find cleaner any where. I'm stationed in Japan and don't speak the language. Results of all this is.. Got the car towed to the Subaru dealership because the repair shop said they dont know for sure if they can fix it. Waiting for results from the dealership now. Sucks cause im sure if i was back in the states i could pick up a bottle of MAF cleaner, and also find a knock sensor for a little of nothing and fixed everything myself.

damn, sorry about your situation. best way to test a tcc is simply to unplug it, but it sounds like you are at the mercy of the dealer shop. hope it turns out ok. by the way if they get it fixed, would you mind posting the results, it might help someone else. By the way, Thank you very much for your service.

Will do sir, and thank you for your support!