i bought a subaru outback 96 and awd not working the rear drive shaft is not spinning?

105

Asked by Mar 13, 2015 at 03:48 PM about the 2000 Subaru Outback

975

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/30524-98- legacy-awd-not-working.html Check out this forumn and see it it helps

975

also check your fuses for the FWD , maybe you are low on fluid ( diff)

105

thanx. i read that forum but i dont think thats the issue i think its some electric problem bec wen i put the fwd fuse in, the light is suppose to light up on dash. but nothing happens. do u have any idea were i begin? were is the mane fuse/relay/Solenoid for the awd system? thanx again

975

Answered In Asian Cars Where is the awd to fwd fuse on 1996 legacy? __Under the bonnet against the firewall on the right hand side. It has a cap that has 4WD on it. Lift flap insert fuse to acheive 2WD ___. The above is for a 1996 legacy the one below is for my 2001 outback not sure if yours is the same I would check out both options --- look in the fuse box under the hood it is a 10 amp fuse and is called the automatic transmission control unit ,you also have a fwd fuse socket I think this is if you are just using front wheel drive . was your car towed recently you masy have to take out the FWD fuse may. This should be an empty socket, no fuse should be in there it is located in the fuse box under the hood , to the upper left hand corner next to the two relays. this informationis for a 2001 2.5 engine not sure what size engine you have . The automatic Transmission control unit fuse may NOT be the one but I would check it anyways

105

there is no fuse in the one by firewall. but wen i do put the fuse in there is a light on the dash that suppose to light up but its not any ideas for that?

975

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:54 AM a test you can try. with the car on jack stands, all 4 corners, disconnect the largest, 16 pin wire connector on the passenger rear of the engine. this connector goes to the trans. with this disconnected the trans will go into limp mode and the rear wheels will be / should be locked to the fronts. (if you drove it on dry pavement it would feel like a 4wd truck with the front hubs locked.) start the car and put it in d, all 4 wheels should turn together. slight variation if you only have 2 jack stands. this could be dangerous if you put the trans in D, be careful. jack up both wheels on one side of the car and place on jack stands. hand brake off. disconnect the connector to trans, place car in N and start the car. now turn the rear wheel by hand, the front wheel should turn with it. you can also do this test with the connector undone and driving it on dry pavement in tight slow circles. because it will be in 3rd gear it will be very slow to go any where, but you should feel ''binding in tight slow circles. if you have binding then the mechanical parts are there and working. no binding means something is missing or broken. don't forget to reconnect the 16 pin plug.

975

have you brought it to a garage so they can check it out for you at least that way you will know what is wrong with it

975

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38629881

975

it doesn't sound like a simple fix

105

thanx

975

let me know what you find out and good luck with it

105

i am waiting on one of these mobile mechanic guys to come down to me.i will let you no thanx for responding to me.

975

be careful of these mobile mechanics make sure they are insured and know what they are doing

105

your right!!!