Why aren't the radiator fans not working?

40

Asked by Oct 25, 2014 at 09:00 AM about the 2000 Subaru Legacy

The car is over heating. Heater working, coolant is clean but noticed fans weren't turning. Checked the main and sub fuses, they look good but can't understand why fans aren't working? Is this the cause of the overheating? Is there a master switch for the fans? Do they need to be replaced?(the fans that is) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

70,245

Check the fan relay,s and if not bad then check the fan motor,s.

If it overheats at highway speeds, it's not the fan(s). There is enough air-flow at..say..45 mph+ to make fans redundant. Next is thermostat. remove radiator cap cold, start and allow to warm up and see if coolant begins to flow

40

I will check the relays and fans. I did take the cap off the radiator while it heated up and noticed the fluid hardly moved. Is that thermostat or a pump?

It could be either thermostat or pump, but thermostat is less expensive to try first, and here is a thread, but they get kinda weird talking about sunspots messing up gauge...? Dunno 'bout that ... http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123714-subaru-overheating-only-in-cold-temps-and-at-interstate-speeds/ ..

click image

40

Thank you. We'll give it a try and let you know the results. You've been very helpful. Both of you.

40

Well we changed the thermostat. Still over heating. Trying the pump next. Oh, the fans are working also. Two less things to worry about. Let you know how it goes.

10

You asked the question completely wrong and the response diagram is backwards. This forum, therefore, carries no credibility. Take your car to the shop genius

My attention was brought back to this thread by a click from somebody...haven't seen it for 8 months. But Jarel the diagram is correct. What, you think the hot coolant goes in the bottom of radiator? You are the one that loses all credibility with that. And just because the OP's syntax is not quite right we all knew what he was asking.

80

I just changed my radiator and thermostat out.. everything is fine. Car is at normal temp while driving. .then goes into the red while sitting at idle . I haven't seen fans kick on . Both small yellow 20 fuses are fine but replaced them ... is the black plastic relay fuse possible problem?

10

i am having the same issue above with no ends and no solution. I have changed and tested all the parts: temperature sensors, cooling fan motor, relay. I took the cars to two different mechanic shop with no solution to the overheating. the cooling fan will come on only when the ac is turned on. by the way, the ac is not blowing cold air at all. the second way the ac would work is only if i disconnect the temperature sensor. otherwise the fan doesn't kick on when car reaches high temperature.

20

I'm having the same issue!! My car started to over heat when driving at slow speeds and stop and go driving! I'm a delivery guy! The fans were seized up so they were replaced! We also replaced the fuses and the relays! Still nothing the fans won't turn on! So we checked for codes and got p0117 p0118 and so we changed the sensor and still fans won't turn on!! But if i unplug the sensor it turns on and stays the meaning the fans!! It don't overheat but the car runs like crap it won't shift till high rpms and it has no acceleration!! I need help!!!

20

Oh yea it's a Chrysler 300m 2000