Problem with e vac system??

Asked by Nov 02, 2015 at 04:24 PM about the 2002 Subaru Outback

my 2002 Outback Wagon : my engine light comes on all the time. My (very reputable mechanic) cannot figure it out. He's gone thru it 5 times and cannot find anything wrong. I cannot pass inspection. The mechanic says it's the E Vac system somewhere. He finally got my light out but says it still won't pass till he gets 1 more off.  He had it to drive for 5 days & still can't find it.  $600.00 to get it that far. He changed all the brake lines. Help!

I suspect you are having a problem with the EVAP system. Is this correct? Here is a list of possible causes. - Missing or loose fuel cap - Incorrect fuel filler cap used - Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close - Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap - EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks - EVAP system hose leaking - Fuel tank leaking

Sometimes it is a very good idea to take it to the Dealership. Some independent mechanics, unless they specialize in certain brands, don't have a clue.

If CEL indicates EVAP check rear hose, fuel cap, and connection in cargo area to tank.

This might help --

Thankyou for all your help. My mechanic is very good; he just could'nt figure it out. He has the best system money can buy to check & detect leaks. He tried 3 times and at no charge cause they could'nt find it but I needed to pass inspection. As a last resort; he said fill with high octane (most expensive gas) and run bout 80 miles ; bring back. Code came off ; all clear & I passed!!! Go figure.

Full_of_Regrets: What an awesome Evap system all-over view. I'll probably need it for next year!!!! Thankyou for all the help to all who answered. I couldn't imagine all the people you have helped with your very informative nut-cracking ideas!

Hmmm...usually it's that rear hose connection. EVAP codes should NOT simply clear because of a short term octane bump. Have him check rear line for blockage, separation, or rot in the metal connecting tube. At 13+ winters this happens.

The SubaruGuruBoston; Thankyou Very Much - I'll have them check that out. Wouldn't that have shown up on the smoke test?

By the way; just to let you all know; the check engine light came back on shortly after it passed AGAIN!!! Frustrating to say the least!

Oops! PS ..As soon as the gas went down to half full (is when the engine light came back on)

Coincidence. Again, the system requires several faulty events consecutively to retrigger the CEL/cc lights. Get it up on a lift and check out rear plumbing and electrical connector. Then remove cargo stuff and right side wall to check corrosion of metalware. There's probably a leak somewhere.