tips on modifyin

25

Asked by Oct 04, 2009 at 11:38 PM about the 2002 Subaru Impreza

I would just like to know what people think is the best modifications to get on a 2002 20N Impreza. All that i have done so far is the rims and put in a Fusion 12 inch sub. It has the standard 154bhp. any help would be appreciated...:)

445

1. Sway Bars 2. Coilovers 3. Big Brake Kit maybe... 4. Exhaust In that order

25

thanks ryan.... anyone else got some ideas

95

I agree with Ryan, above. I'm not so big on sway bars cause I don't really push the car to its limit on a track or something. I prefer a different order too. I'd also add an intake.

445

stock airboxes on subarus are good till 300hp so dont waste your money on an intake, a drop in filter will do just fine. And sways will make a drastic difference in the way your car handles, really limits body roll

25

it doesnt really roll that much though and it's not gonna be for track racing, just for the streets. here is a reverse view of it

35

I know with my '02 wrx wagon, i tend to have a good bit of understeer, and sway bars would do me good. I have to disagree with ryan and say, go for an intake, although you may be "good until 300 horse" with the stock air box, you're probably not planning to bring your car up to 300 horse in the first place. I'd say, Intake, sway bars, front shock tower stiffener (helps with handling and gives your engine compartment some flare), exhaust, and if you really wanna go big, put a turbo on it. and order wise, I'd do it in order of 'what can you pay for?' first.

25

cheers man

205

I third Ryan's suggestions ; but add Strut tower bars, especially on the rear, in wagons they work wonders, especially with aforementioned sways / linkages / fender braces etc. Sick looking wagon man! Cheers!

3,115

yea id agree with everyone except on the intake part. Dont waste your money unless you are going to buy a full cat back exaust thats when you will notice any slight gain out of it. If you add a turbo from a wrx it will kick it up a notch and it wont take much to do just front mount intercooler( so you dont have to spend money on new hood unless you just get the scoop and cut it),turbo,new manifold,piping,and remap the ecu. Then once its turbo'd id go for the Cobb unit, up pipe, down pipe, full exaust, maybe injectors i dont know how involved and how much money you got either? It all depends on how much you wanna throw down for cash and how much you actually have to budget it. But definitly for now upgrade the swaybar bushings and links, front and rear strut tower braces. dont worry about cosmetics right now since it looks good already then you will get into new wheels which id recommend Volk, work, rays, BBS but remember the STI rims WONT fit on the wrx or 2.5rs the bolt pattern is different and iterrior mods.

5

Suspension before power trust me, the car will be much more enjoyable once it corners right. With a turboback exhaust and an access port you will be satisfied in power anything more then that you are looking at some serious money and with a '02 transmission the more power the more likely it is to go. the statement about getting a big brake kit should not be considered. They do NOT make your car but help with brake fade on track conditions. search around NASIOC.com all your ?'s will be answered

445

I didnt mean a whole brembo kit. I worded it wrong, I just meant pads, rotors, ss lines, and fluid. Helping with stopping before you add the go is always helpful

65

swaybars, springs/struts, light flywheel, and crank pulley. After these the car should have great throttle response and be stiff enough to have fun with. You can find everything that you need to boost it for cheap. Buy peoples used stock turbo parts. here is what I could sell you via paypal: Stock turbo 38k miles $100 stock under manifold induction pipe $30 stock up pipe with gutted cat. $50 stock wrx top feed injectors $150 you would still need downpipe, intercooler, y-pipe, bov, fuel pump, and i would suggest a wideband o2 sensor and electronic boost controller. You could find someone to open source reflash the ecu. you could prob talk to a few guys on nasioc, shop ebay and pick up everything you need to turbo your car for less than $1000

25

would it not be easier to put in a wrx or sti engine instead of puttin a turbo on it?

95

Easier, but more money probably.

25

ok then, here is something i forgot to mention, it tiptronic :( so will a turbo still work with a tiptronic trans or will i have to do a trans conversion?

35

From a 2004 STI they will fit, the bolt pattern changed to 5x114 in 2005 on the STI.

35

Turbo doesn't have to do with the trans, it's just a power adder, your fine with the stock trans, but the more power the motor puts out, the more stress you're putting on the trans.

25

so if i put a stock wrx turbo in i should be alright trans wise?

35

Absolutely.

3,115

why dont you do the tranny swap as well? 5speed is a lot more fun and if you want to add more power the auto wont hold up at all just so you know

35

A 5 speed swap would cost a big chunk of money, is a rather hard swap, and if you DO swap to a manual, do it up right, get an STI 6 speed.

aye heres another idea if u've got $$ a "raptor super charger "it gives u alot more power well u'll leave wrx behide

25

I'd recommend: a short ram air intake (cobb) full exhaust maybe the cobb stage 2 suspension package sti strut tower bar lighten flywheel act clutch I wouldn't put springs on it unless you get factory sti springs which will work if you get new pillow ball mounts, cause sti springs just increase dampening rate but don't lower it. You don't want to lower it because the stock suspension is already close to bottoming out. I read somewhere that ( I think) 1.2" lower will be bottomed out.

35

an awesome site i use for any subaru stuff is scoobymods.com it has a lot of people who know a lot about subarus