Haw do I cool down my subaru wrx 03. Im mot sure do I just leave the car running for bout 1 minute

Asked by Mar 22, 2013 at 04:16 AM about the 2003 Subaru Impreza

If it is real hot, or even not, you have the right idea. After a long trip on the highway especially, it's always a good idea to idle it for longer than that, say about 2, 3 minutes at least, to let her cool off. Best yet is with your foot on the gas just a tad, idle at about 1200 rpm, but even if you allow it to idle normally is about as good

Cheers mark thanks mate

Added thoughts. There are advocates of shutting you car off if you are going to be sitting for more than 30 seconds or so. Say if you are waiting at a long red light or at McDonalds for a burger. I say baloney to that. Read "Bob the Oil Guy", an excellent teacher/lecturer who teaches that 90% of engine wear occurs upon start up. The first few seconds of the engine running are critical, getting the oil up and around where it is needed, Do not shut your car off at every light. That's for hybrids

I'm not Mark, but that's OK lots of folks do that it looks like it was written bu "Mark Helpful"

26,395

LMAO @ people really thinking that "Mark helpful" is someone's name. They REALLY need to change the wording on that to "Click Here if you are happy with the answer"....But then...people might say "Thanks Click!!",,,LOLLLLL!!

g'morning Racer..yep, it happens quite often. You got it, maybe something like click if you find this answer helpful.. or something like that eh?

26,395

Morning David :) Definitely agree with you on NOT shutting the car off at a drive thru or stoplight....I MIGHT think about doing this in a very severe bumper to bumper traffic jam in Los Angeles...thankfully, I don't live out West and drive on their insane highways. I feel sorry for the folks that have to deal with that foolishness each day...Ugh!

"Bob the Oil Guy" is a fellow that tenspeed taught me about, he really knows his s***..about oils, lubrication, engines and the way he explains things are not dry technical stuff but written in a way folks like me can understand..and he explains about 90% of engine wear occurs upon starting...you drive to the grocery store 4 blocks away, then the post office, bank, whatever, and all those starts have put as much or more wear on your engine than a thousand mile trip.

Oh yeah, I have never had to commute to work like that ever, I am blessed it would make me like "Falling Down" that Michael Douglas movie..ever see that? He nuts up in a traffic jam, good flick

26,395

And for this VERY reason, I insist on using Full Synthetic Oil on my SUV and will be adding it for my very first oil change on my barely broken in Mazda MX-5 when the weather breaks and she comes out of storage (though I should have done it beforehand).

26,395

Oh yeah...I remember that movie "Falling Down"..definitely one of the better ones with Michael Douglas. I just had to watch a clip of it again: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/ This movie is like an autobiography of some of the nutcases we hear about on the news though.

Ditto. I use Castrol Edge Syntec..it's $40 for a gallon jug, get a better price than quart bottles, and my Corolla takes 4.2 quarts with filter change included, always do that of course. So I buy 1 jug and a quart, don't really want to lay out $80 at a time, comes to under $55 with filter and only have to use 1/4 of the quart bottle for a change.. and in the year I have had it I have not had to add one drop, except the week after I bought it When they got it ready to sell evidently they put one gallon in and called it good, I was 1/2 quart low and have only done one change, I let it go 4 months~~~ 5,000 miles I don't know what they put in it. Toyota label, but I don't know what that is,

85

If you dont have an oiltemerature gauge, get one. This is vital for your engine. Dont switch off the motor above 400 Celcius or 750 Fahrenheit... PS: Because you have a FI engine you need to change the oil more often. Temperatures are much higher compared to a NA engine

85

I forgot to mention that if you dont cool down your turbo-not the engine-, it will brake down very soon

Mike~~~an engine that has gotten up to 750 degrees, if that is even possible, is toast, no pun intended, it's destroyed. Normal operating temperature is around 200 to 240, say about 280 is way overheated.. the thermostat, depending on what the thermostat is set to open at, is usually about 165 to 180. Oil temperature is about the same, maybe a bit less even. Castrol tests their oil for breakdown of lubrication properties by heating it up to 350F, far beyond what it would ever be in an engine. Is that a typo Mike, ?? I have an open mind and an ready willing and able to listen to your source and/or where you heard the..750 ..automotive motor oil has a flash point of 420 to 480F, at that temperature it is evaporating enough volatile fumes to ignite.

85

@David.... SORRY.... I ment exaust temperature..... Exaust temperature gauge... Not over 400Celcius because the oil in the turbine burns out....

Now THAT makes sense LOL I thought there has GOT to me something I am missing here...Good point made, I agree.... and no apology necessary my friend