tail pipe on special edition 2005 xb

Asked by Feb 13, 2009 at 11:17 PM about the 2005 Scion xB

I was driving down the freeway and heard a loud clunk looked in my rearview mirror and a hunk of metal was bouncing behind me barely missing the car following.  When I arrived at my destination I looked my car over and my tail pipe was gone.  I took my car to the dealer (have extended warranty) to get it replaced.  They told me it isn't covered because it looks as if it was cut off and now the whole tail pipe exhaust needs replacing.  The cut is smooth, I feel too smooth for it to be cut to steal or whatever and it is as if the section fit inside the exhaust and came loose, leaving just a smooth exhaust section and no pipe.  Any thoughts?

75

The rear section separates from the middle section, right over the torsion beam (rear suspension), it might have come undone, but the Hangers should have held it in place. It just would have gotten very loud, but not fallen off. It sounds like it was definitely "worked on". Post some pics of the cut and I'll try to help further.

Thank you David but I heard from Scion and they stated that year special edition has a welding problem with the tail pipe that they are aware of but did not recall since they didn't feel it was a danger to the public. I am sure the person that was driving behind me and had to major swerve to avoid the pipe wouldn't agree. I do not know if they will cover a replacement yet, I am waiting to hear back. I think they were neglegent in not telling their dealers or the 2,500 customers who purchased this vehicle. I have taken my car to the dealer for all work (oil changes) since it was purchased new. Hopefully Toyota will do right by me and cover this completely.

75

That's great that they are aware of it, it should be a TSB, so they should cover it (if you car is/was under warranty at the time). The RS2.0, Solar Yellow, came with a special DC Sports brand exhaust, so they might not be able to replace the exact piece, but the normal factory one will work fine and be quieter. If they don't want to replace it and you don't want the factory, TSudo (brand) Fireball (model) is a good replacement, it sounds awesome and fits perfectly. Good luck with it.

Best Answer