Car stopped working 3 months ago then magically turned on yesterday...

Asked by Mar 11, 2014 at 07:08 PM about the 2004 Saturn VUE

In the beginning of December I drove my Saturn about 4 hours away and then drove back
the same day another 4 hours. Had some issues with the brakes, but that is another
question and issue for another time. Got back and then drove my car until Christmas
time, when we went to see family out of state. Used a different car to see our family.
When we got back from our holiday I tried moving my car and it wouldn't start. For the
following three month if I placed my key into the ignition i'd get battery power (radio, A/C,
lights all turn on and off fine) and a weird sound. The engine wouldn't turn over, and the
sound honestly sounds like one of those engines in a model plane that you would fly. I'm
not sure if that was the starter or not. Yesterday, three months later, I tried to restart it for
kicks and giggles. I placed the key into the ignition and turn the key; I got the same
result. I did it a second time and something seemed to catch. So I did it a third time and
then over and over again. Each time I turned the keys the engine began to crank a little
more until it finally turned all the way over and stayed on. I hit the gas to rev the RPMs
and it revved up and turned off. Tried the process again a few time with the same results
until it finally stayed on for good. I want to test the it driving around the neighborhood, but
i'm scared it'll stop. And i'm not paying to have it towed. Need some thoughts on what the
issue could have been so I can be confident I can drive this thing to work and be able to
get home. Thoughts?

237,715

If your afraid it will stop and you don't want to have to pay for a tow, start it up and drive right over to your mechanic and have them diagnose your issue and let you know the car isn't going to leave your stranded. Your issue sounds fuel replaced to me, since you had to turn the key multiple times, in turn priming the fuel system. Maybe the whining noise was your fuel pump.