My 90 saab 900S has been leaking oil and coolant.

Asked by Apr 06, 2010 at 05:12 AM about the 1990 Saab 900

The oil leak is getting worse. My mechanic said he would have to take the whole engine out and reseal it. About $ 2000.
He claims there is also a small coolant leak. That would be $1100. I do not want to put that much into my car. What are other options? Keep filling fluids and drive? How long could I realistically do that? Thanks

You could keep adding fluids, but why should you.... Inspect the engine to see were the oil is comming from usually from valve cover at top of engine, or front to back, use a pan or a card board box and place it under engine folded flat so you can identify the leak area.... Simple fixes on GM products is to get a wrench on the oil pan gasket bolts just to see if they are loose, easy solution... The coolant leak issue is possible water pump, but you still need to do the card board box to identify the leaking area.