Why won't my car start it is a Pontiac Grand Prix Se it turns over but won't start

Asked by Sep 19, 2015 at 06:44 PM about the 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix

I have a 93 grand prix SE just bought it yesterday and it will turn over but not start. Someone plz help. I am still paying for this car

66,015

Try spraying some starting fluid down the throttle body. It should run a few seconds on the starting fluid. If so, it's a fuel problem. Possibly the fuel pump. Turn the ignition on but don't try to start it. You should hear, back by the gas tank, the fuel pump run for a few seconds. If not, get a hammer (no joke) and whack the bottom center of the gas tank 2 or 3 times. Then try to start it. If it starts, it's definitely the fuel pump. If it won't run on the starting fluid check for spark by removing one of the spark plug wires. Stick a large screwdriver, with a plastic or wooden handle in the boot that attaches to the spark plug. Hold the metal part of the screwdriver close to something metal that's not painted. The exhaust manifold is good for this. Have a helper crank the engine while you look for spark. A strong spark that you can see and hear should jump from the screwdriver to the exhaust manifold or wherever you have the screwdriver. It'll be a SNAP-SNAP-SNAP type of sound. Now if you have spark and fuel but it still won't run, do a compression test. If all cylinders test low or zero, it's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim