Is She Worth Fixing?

Asked by Sep 04, 2012 at 04:22 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Sunbird

My beloved '94 Sunbird recently had the head gasket and the water pump go out at the same time.  The head gasket leak could, potentially, be fixed with a sealer, but I don't know how well that kind of repair can be expected to hold up in the long term.  The car has 221,000 miles, and is due for a brake job.  It has been suggested that the struts may be due for replacement, as well.  (She does bounce a bit.)  The transmission (automatic) was rebuilt two years ago, and is, perhaps, not perfect, but I'm O.K. with it, and it does not seem to be deteriorating.  The body is in beautiful shape-no rust or dents.  My question: How far should I go in fixing up this car?

238,015

At 221K and that it needs a ton of work, and it isn't a desirable car to hold onto, I think maybe it's time for a newer one. It's worth $500 at best.

10,125

Yeah.. Repair her if she is sentimental.. Otherwise.. Get yourself a new car and scrap it.

Adding sealer is NOT a fix ! It's temporary if it works at all. for the money it will cost you to fix this car you can buy a new one . With the body in good shape you can make more money by parting it out .

10

I have one. I rebuilt the engine for 2k. Got the car for 100. The head gasket and water pump are fairly easy to fix. I did mine. Depending on what sealer you use and how bad the leak is it could work. But be warned. If it doesn't work and the car overheats an the head cracks. Good luck. You will have to but a new head. Not rebuilt or new. Those heads like to crack. If it was me. I would replace it if it is your only car. Those cars will go forever if taken care of. I've seen them go up to 500000 miles. It's insane. It's your call. It would cost up to about a 1000 bucks or so depending on where you take it to be fixed. But those cars in great condition are worth about 1700. How much money do you want to spend.