about the pop up headlights

Asked by Feb 26, 2011 at 06:38 PM about the 1994 Pontiac Firebird

We just bought a 1994 Firebird last week and already the drivers side headlight stays up.....never had a Firebird before.   The other one works fine (so far)  How can we fix it???? Is there a separate motor for each one?   Any info would help..........

Classic Industries (Calif) has the repair kits for your headlight made out of metal so they will last forever so they claim I read it while looking throu the parts book. It looks easy to fix as long as you have the time and patients to do it. The kit is reasonable in price about the same as GM but this will last the life of the car.

Thanks! I replaced the gear this weekend, AutoZone didn't have the metal gear so I put in a plastic one like it had. The motor was good, just the plastic gear had damaged teeth. I hate those plastic gears, they make them to break so you have to pay to have someone fix it! It was rather funny though, when I put the motor back in with the new gear and then turned on the lights, the headlight went down and the other one came up!! then turn em off and they went opposite.....ha ha... I had to take it back out and readjust so they would both go up and down together.........

You are welcome, Yes I agree they have for years design parts to fail to keep money flowing I suppose. I have a 96 Cherokee as well as my 74 T/A and 81 Z28. All of them have been trouble free vehicles but it maybe due to I am heavy into maintance on them ie changing oil once a month wheather it needs it or not and coolant changes every 6 months and trans oil fluid exchange all 14 quarts differentials to and so on. I am glad to have helped you out. ~Roger~

Best Answer Mark helpful