Locked in park

10

Asked by Dec 15, 2010 at 07:22 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird

1995 Firebird stuck in park. Unable to push in button on shifter, I am stepping on the break. Light on the dash says "security"

120

Are you parked on level ground? If not, have another vehicle on the downward side of your car & just apply enough pressure to roll the wheels slightly. As far as the security light goes, will the car start and idle?

785

If you cannot push the button it means that the button lock solenoid is not releasing. It could be the brake light switch on the pedal (easy to check, do the brake lights work?) or a fuse or the solenoid itself. Locate and check the fuse. Look for a manual release button. Most cars with console autos have them, usually a small hole in the console near the shifter.

I just had this problem yesterday with my 95 Firebird, and couldn't take my granddaughter to school. I even jacked the back wheels off the ground, as my daughter parked closely to the stop block. I finally found that the Break fluid level was down and added to fill it, then started the engne, put my foot on the break peddle and pumped it a couple of times, then tried to shift out of park. I had no problems after that, and it worked just fine, therefore I guess the security light may mean there is a security feature to keep you from taking the vehicle out of park, if it does not have enough break fluid to safely drive the car. Now I have to check out the entire breaking system and find and fix the problem. I'm not a licensed Mechanic, so I can't say this is the problem with all these Firebirds, but it did work this time.