I have a 96 pont grand am that will not start all the time.

Asked by Mar 06, 2015 at 11:54 PM about the 1996 Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 96 pont grand am. I have not had any problems until two weeks ago. I drove it
about 2 or 3  miles, parked it and turned it off. Ten minuts later I tried to start it and it
would not start. The lights and radio still worked.  When I turned the key it sounded like
the car would start, something like when you are just running out of gas, which I wasn't.
About six hours later my husband tried to jump the car, it still would not start.  The car still
sounded like it wanted to start but would not catch. We towed to a mechanic.  The
machanic kept it for about a week. He drove the car and started it numerous time ach day
and could not get the car to duplicate the problem. I picked the car up and drove it for a
couple of miles, shut it off, within two hours I tried to start it and I had the same problems,
it would not start. Next day it started, ran a week and then this morning it would not start.  
Now when you turn the key it sounds like someone trying to start a car that is already
running. The car has about 160,000 miles on it.  Any help is greatly appriciated.

10

I have to keep a 1/4 tank in mine or it wont start 5 gallons to prime fuel injectors odd but untill it happens to you then you remember to keep at the least above a 1/8th tank of gas in reserve.

its sound more like one of those service isues, the fact that the car is driven less could in a way create problems, one must also remember that a car has to reach a certain temparature also and all does could create problems if not attained. all this could be long term problems building up after many years. maybe one needs to service the car,change oil and lubricate where its needed. in that way im sure you car locate the problem much better if that was not the cause alredy.