how many horsepower does my 98 grand prix gtp has with a cold air intake

Asked by Mar 09, 2007 at 12:12 AM about the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

Dear bballplyer0589-- The GTP option on the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix featured a 3.8L. V6 engine which produced 240 hp. I can't find any official documentation regarding the horsepower with the cold air intake, but I have seen manufacturers of that device claiming that it adds as much as 26 horsepower. Good luck from Bovan.

Impossible to say for sure; if I had to guess, I'd say 10 or 15 more than stock, but without actual dyno figure, I'm just guessing. Depends on the size of the tubing, filter restriction, and the temp difference between it and the OEM unit. Every car responds differently to mods, so outright claims can be misleading. I know the '98 models had a restrictive factory airbox (I own both a '97 GTP and an '01, their air cleaners are night & day). What kind of cold air intake? Thrasher? Those units flow good, but some of the cheapie 'intakes' available at parts stores are more restrictive than the factory air cleaner assemblies.

K&N says about 13 HP increase over stock Installation into a 98 GTP is a little tricky though, you'll need to get a overflow bottle and lower retaining clip from a 99 as well as a few more parts to mount it on the passenger strut tower. there aren't any holes or bolts there, so you'll have to figure that one out for yourself

Dear Brian, I have the same car that you posted in the picture and I am looking into buying a K&N cold air intake like the one you have installed. My question is, where did you find this product? I've been searching and I can't find the entire system without it being universal. If you could help it would be appreciated. Thanks

Im no guru, but i know a thing or 2; just bought a 98 gtp w cold air mod, cat delete, cpu tune(mild?) will smoke my dads 02 SSEi.