My 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix is having stereo issues. My battery died a month ago, changed it, and since then my cd player has not turned on. It is an aftermarket stereo so I cant input anti theft code!

Asked by Apr 21, 2013 at 07:37 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix

Battery died and stereo wont work. 1999 is equipped with anti theft device on factory
radio, however, I have an aftermarket radio. Ive checked my fuse and its good. So I'm
guessing the input code is necessary for it to work again. However, it's an Alpine stereo
unit, and to input the code would be impossible. How can I get my stereo working again?

20,815

anti code is within head unit as far as I know, yeah has to be,check for inline fuse behind unit, and also 2 live coming in one for power and one for always on memory

I dont know much about cars, but i checked fuse in fuse box under the hood. Literally had zero problems with the stereo (i didnt install the unit, had it a few years) until i jumped my battery. If it has nothing to do with an anti theft code from the previous stock radio, I'm not sure how my stereo isn't functioning. Will this require me to remove the entire unit from my dash to check inline fuse?

20,815

yes if one was used, any fuses at l side of dash,or under dashboard on drivers side?if you had the Pontiac manual it would show fuses and location.their should b two for unit factory used ,and maybe one inline by installer of this one.if it lights up,it should work,some aftermarket units have code lockout. then you need the pre owner or hope they didn't program one in when new,sometimes written in their owners manual for their own use

10,415

Yah Your best bet is to pull the deck like 7jimmy7 said. Most installers leave the aftermarket fuses attached to the new deck's harness. I would bet that it's the fuse or maybe even a loose wire. I like to solder all my wiring but there is still quite a few people that crimp. There would be no room to get your hand up behind on a 1999. Can you pull the deck without taking your dash apart. Pull the bezel off and have a look (most decks come with small tools that slide between the deck and the mounting bracket and release/slide out the unit). If not, carefull pulling the On/Off bezel from around the key, they break easy.

I appreciate the help, guys. I lifted up the dash to see if i could access the unit without completely removing it, but too tight of a fit around the steering column. The unit seems to be simply attached by two screws. I have the original manual for the vehicle, and although i have no tools specifically for my aftermarket, I do have the basics to remove the unit. Tomorrow I will attempt the suggestions you have both provided and keep you posted on my results. Again, I am the very definition of amateur when it comes to working on cars. However, I feel this is an issue best resolved on my own accord, as opposed to overpaying to have a mechanic deal with it. I am a twenty-three year old female, but have always had interest in motorcycles and in learning basic mechanics. I appreciate the prompt responses to my question. I looked everywhere online for a solution and found nothing. Fingers crossed I can get that car stereo bumpin' again. ;)

10,415

I haven't had a new alpine in a while. Some of the new decks that I have laying around have a fuse in the back of the deck instead of the harness! If you don't see it in the wiring check there! If the fuses are good I've also had factory wiring break in the dash? Usually on older vehicles. Use a volt meter to point to point the wires from the stereo back to the cars fuse panel or ignition for your acc lead. (volt meter on ohms, lower number the better, incase you haven't used one). If there is a faulty wire you can splice it.