supercharged grand prix

Philip Oiler

Asked by Dec 30, 2008 at 08:14 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix

i have a 1999 grand prix with a non supercharged 3.8 v6. i thought that gm made a supercharged 3.8 for that model. i was just wondering if you could find a factory supercharger for that engine package and basically bolt it on.

Michael McGrail

the two engines a different! It would be easier to find a SC version as a complete engine, and swap the whole thing. I have seen low mileage versions on ebay selling between 1000-1500 dollars

Logan Saunders

I almost agree with Michael except I'd do something a little different. The vehicle is a 99 model; rather than look for the engine; invest time and labor into the swap, why not just sell it? Look for the supercharged model and buy one? Since they are 10 years old and a GM product, you should be able to buy one very reasonably? I'd go for simple over complicated anytime and you'll likely come out spending less money.

Michael McGrail

I agree with Logan here, it would prolly be more cost effective to hunt for a GTP. The GTP's have alot of extra features too not found on the base and GT models.

Alex King

While normally i would agree with both of you becacuse swaps are expensive but the GTP trim levels seem to hold thier value quite well... and if hees thinking about the swap anyways he should look into a 2004+ model as they got a performance bump... i guess it all comes down to how much he can get for his grand prix and how much he is willing to spend to get the supercharged version...

Michael McGrail

Yeah, but the 04 is a different body style. Look for an 00-01 GTP, last years for the performance shift mode!!! The difference in cost from what you could sell your car for and what an 00-01 GTP would cost should be right in-line with what an engince swap would set you back. Plus, the GTP's retain their value very well!!!!! Oh, look in my cars, I have the hood from my old GTP if you are interested.

you would have to check compression on a non superchaged engine it will most likely have higher compression than a super charged engine, just get a super charged engine ,save yourself a headache.

George Boyd

To respond to trip the compression ratio is different. The N/A model has an 10:1 compression ration where as the GTP model should have an 8:1 compression ratio. Its not really an issue though. ZZP sells a kit to put an M90 supercharger on to the engine. And with the same supercharger as the GTP you should see an 18 to 20 hp increase due to the higher compression ratio. Its not as uncommon as people seem to think it is. But I would just spend the same 2.5 grand or so on the ZZP Z3 turbo kit. Which is what I plan to do