Code P1632

60

Asked by Feb 02, 2016 at 06:07 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am

What would cause this code? And how do I
fix it? My car starts and runs for 1-2
seconds and then dies?

66,135

This is a security system failure. Best to take it to your local GM Dealer for repair. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
66,135

BTW the so called "10 minute relearn procedure" won't work in this case. HTH. -Jim

60

I wrecked my car a week before it started doing this in a ditch. Could that have something to do with it?

60

Also is there a way to fix it on my own or do I HAVE to take it to a dealer

69,805

Possible causes p1632...> - Deterrent key not programmed to vheicle - Faulty Deterrent key - Fualty ignition switch - Poor electrical connection for Deterrent circuit components.... Possible symptoms..... - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - No or hard engine start situation P1632 Pontiac Description..... The Engine Control Module (ECM), the Powertrain Interface Module (PIM), and the Body Control Module (BCM) are integral part of the vehicle theft deterrent system. The theft deterrent system authenticates the security code programmed into each of these modules to prevent unauthorized vehicle operation. This authentication process includes the following steps: 1.When the ignition is turned ON or the door is unlocked by remote key the BCM and the key exchange security data to verify the correct key is used. 2.Once the correct key has been confirmed and the ignition is turned ON, the PIM and BCM exchange data to confirm the correct BCM and PIM is being used. 3.Once the correct key, BCM, and PIM is confirmed, the PIM and ECM exchange data to allow the vehicle to start. 4.The data exchange processes conducted use various encrypted data exchanges between each of the devices.

66,135

Most likely yes. Do you have any blown fuses that would indicate an electrical short due to the accident? Rowefast has pretty much covered all the bases here. It is also possible that, because of the accident, the battery shifted and created a short that fried the BCM (Body Control Module). Without a scan tool I doubt that you can fix it on your own. HTH. -Jim