Electrical problems with 1999 grand am

Asked by Oct 15, 2007 at 08:00 PM about the 1999 Pontiac Grand Am

My blower motor has been cutting in and out. I traced the problem back to the connection from the wiring into the blower motor, i think the ground on the fan is coroded and not working properly. While taking the motor out, I accidently touched the wires together shorting it out. It was on high(speed 5) and now that speed doesn't work anymore. Speeds 3 and 4 still work fine. I have looked on the fuse panels next to the doors (both sides) and all of those fuses work properly. Is there another set of fuses to check? The blower motor has not worked on speeds 1 and 2 for some time and I have read many other people having this problem.

Sounds like you have fried one of the blower motor resistors in the electronic climate control head. You may need to have the whole control head replaced and recalibrated. I would suggest having a dealer diagnose this although it certainly sounds like the resistor block is shot.

Speeds 1-4 run through a fuse at the end of the dash. Speed 5 has it's own fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

Help, Have similar issue.. Just there is a twist. I also have resistor issues has been for some years. Just Now fan motor goes in and out.. If you push up on motor it works fine. one you let go it stops.. Once in awhile it will try to work but goes back off. Money tight is there anything we can do to keep it going.. Thank you...