where is thermostat located

Asked by Jun 18, 2007 at 11:21 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Sunfire

I need the location of the thermostat on this car.

30,925

Follow these directions. I know it's for a 2001 but the engines are the same so it should work. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_the_thermostat_in_your_2001_Pontiac_Sunfire

80

I wish I could say that the engines are the same but the wiki forum is inaccurate for the 2.2 ecotec used in the cavaliers and sunfires. If you were to look at the rear or firewall side of the engine, you will find a steel tube running from the water pump, under the exhaust manifold to a block unit bolted to the block using three bolts. Use a 10 mm deep walled socket to remove these bolts and also remove the bolt retaining the pipe from the lower radiator hose ( easiest access would be to remove the air intake duct between the air cleaner box and the intake plenum) this will allow the block to be moved away from the block. By the time you have removed these bolts, hopefully you will have niticed the dome shaping to the end of the pipe you have further exposed. there are two more 10 mm bolts you must use a wrench on (in this case a ratcheting wrench would be quite helpful). once you have done this pull the pipe from the unit ypou removed from the block earlier then you can remove the thermostat and replace with the new one. This process in a mechanics shop would take approximately 3 hours going by thier books. known mechanics record time is 2 hours (but they take off more parts than nessesary). My personal time has been cut down to 1 hour not including the time taken out of each step to post this as i go... any more questions?? Please feel free to email me...... NighthawkAutomotive@yahoo.com Mike McQuillan

80

After finding the site again and reading my posting, I would like to apologize for the typing errors. Hands were kinda greasy and was using my dads computer.

Thanks for your instructions . really appreciate it!