oil light

Asked by Jan 05, 2009 at 12:32 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

I had my oil changed forgot to reset so the "change oil soon" light goes off how do i

55

You should try this first. Turn your key two clicks forward (don't start the car) press the gas pedal three times to the floor slowly. Turn your key all the way off then start your car. You may have to try a couple times just to get it right. It's not a race either so take your time when doing it. If that doesn't work just go back to the place that changed your oil and tell them. Your Welcome

2,265

I copied and pasted the actual procedure from the GM Online service manual (known as SI2000 to GM techs) Follow this procedure to reset the GM Oil Life System ™ Driver Information Center (DIC) (If Equipped) Turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds. • If the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator flashes two times, the system is resetting. Turn the ignition key to OFF, then start the vehicle. • If the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator comes on and stays on, repeat the procedure. To reset the OIL LIFE indicator if equipped with a Trip Computer. Press the trip MODE button until the light appears next to OIL LIFE. Press and hold the trip RESET button until the oil life percentage changes to 99 percent.

90

I was takin my wife to work this morning we have 08 grand prix and it jus died on me the oil was low but my question is when the oil is low in a car like that does it have a sensor that shuts the car off an won't make it crank until u put more oil in it to keep from messing the car up??