My 2000 Pontiac grand am is overheating and the heater is only blowing cold air. I filled the fluid now it's worse. Also boiling/ chugging sound when I turn the engine off?? What's going on??

100

Asked by Nov 23, 2015 at 06:56 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am

My 2000 Pontiac grand am is doing the
same thing. It was overheating and only
blowing warm air when I drove, at stop
lights it would blow cold.  Sino checked the
coolant and it was low, so I filled it to the
line, and now it only blows cold air; no
matter what; and is overhearing every 10
min.  There is also a "boiling water" and
chugging sound when I turn off the engine?
Any help??? I'm at my witts end and about
to cry and give up!!!

112,445

It could be several things, the outside front of the radiator could be dirty and needs a good power washer. Your radiator could be clogged that will need to be flushed. Your fans could be defective not turning on causing the car to overheat. Your thermostat could be bad. Your system could air bound and the system needs to burped...

71,785

Fill the radiator directly. If it's that low just filling the plastic recovery tank won't do the trick. Be sure that the engine is cold then remove the radiator cap. Now start the engine and put the heater on. Fill up the radiator while the engine is running. Once the radiator is filled to the very top, put the cap back on and fill the plastic recovery tank to the full hot line. HTH. - Jim

100

Thank you, I will try burping the hoses and then looking at/ filling the radiator directly, in the next few days and let you know if it worked or not. I know it's not the fans because even after I shut the car off and get out, I can hear the fan still going.

112,445

Ok great thanks..

71,785

You're welcome. Glad to help. Sounds good. Yes, please keep us posted. -Jim

100

Well I guess there is no radiator cap to go directly into the radiator, it is the cap to the reservoir. I couldn't find the radiator and didn't want to seem stupid since its always been in the front of my other cars...and it says the radiator is under the engine, something I can't get to without a hoist??? I dunno , butvi can't find it. So how what do i do??

5,355

Don't forget to use the proper (50/50) mixture of water and coolant when adding or changing the coolant.