car shakes when stopped

10

Asked by Feb 17, 2012 at 01:22 AM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am

i just bought a 2000 pontiac grand am. When I stop at a stop light it starts shaking pretty bad, any ideas what that might be?

10

either your brake pads warped or one or more of your motor mounts are bad

3,255

does shaking begin after it has stopped or while it was stopping ? can you feel it in the brake pedal ? If shaking begins AFTER car has stopped , tune up motor with new plugs and PLUG WIRES. if it shakes when you put on the brakes while car is in motion , it's the ROTOR thats warped . If it squeals when braking , this is worn out PADS.... If the motor JUMPS up and hits the hood while accelerating in REVERSE , this is motor mounts .... PBN

10

the breaks do squeek. The lady said its because " they had new ones put in not to l9ong ago and they didn't oil them" not sure about that. But it starts shaking only after I've stopped. Soon as I start moving it goes away

335

your motor is missing. if it is only after you have stopped and sit there.

3,255

plugs and wires for the 3.1 v-6 are supposed to be changed every thirty thousand miles

35

i'd say most likely it's the spark plugs/wires. My car did the same thing. fixed those for about $20. plug is around $4. same for wire. i needed 2 of each. put them in myself. it was easy. they were trying to charge me over $80 to order the parts and put it in. psh!!!

3,255

make sure motor is COLD when you take the plugs out or thread damage may occur . Also before removing plugs it doesn't hurt to take an air hose and a blow out around each plug base to keep any small pebbles or other debris from falling down in a cylinder when the plug is removed .. ( you would never see it especially on the back side ) and that small pebble can easily bend a valve or punch a hole in the top of a piston ..... you won't know about it until it's too late !