why is my car still running off the battery? 2000 grand am v6

Asked by Sep 05, 2011 at 04:17 PM about the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am

i have changed my alternator, my battery and my starter on my Grand am V6 the starter doesnt sound right and my car is running off the battery still what is going on??????

3,395

was the battery FULLY CHARGED when you changed the alternator ? If not , a less than fully charged battery will fry a new alternator the first time you start it after replacing the alt . reason ? too much current draw to operate all systems plus put 40 or 50 amps back into the battery . The antilock brakes alone take over 50 amps . onboard computer : 35 amps cooling fans 40amps ,AC, 20 amps . get the idea ? your new alt is probably fried . Charge the batt fully before replacing the next one (alt)

495

Funny this should come up, I am literally sitting on my front porch right now after installing a new alternator ('01 BMW 540i 6 speed) waiting for the charger to finish. I was searching google for anxious to see how close the charging is. Got bored after google was inconclusive... Using a black and decker multi cycle charger that went from like 5.7 amps to now 1.9... jobs been done for over an hour. I am however less inclined now to "see if it will work" or if it's "close enough". Not impatient to replace another alternator though. Saved myself over $800 vs. the local indy DIY. Now an exercise in further patience after waiting on parts and a nice day.

yes brand new battery brand new all three when i turned it on!!!

oh also the starter doesnt disengage properly

3,395

I am not a newer car person but I'd say the starter may either be loose or maybe it too needs replaced . did this car ever get driven through deep water or sit for a while where it was wet ? (for a while means a month or so ) PBN

i have the same car what i understand its the pmc computer and the starter getting stuck could be the same or again the pmc